• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 86 M1028 is down with s burnt starer. Will the reduced drive bolt up with no medications needed? I need to get the truck back on the road ASAP. The local Auto zone is saying they have a starter in stock but I think the parts guy is not understanding I need a 24 volt starter. If i cant fnd one local I am going to have one shipped. Thanks

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It should bolt up if you already have a gear reduction starter. If you currently have a direct drive starter you will need to get the different support bracket for the gear reduction starter. Other than that it will work, but don't expect one of the cheap gear reduction starters to last too long.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter will fit fine. You will need the correct support bracket and I would recommend new starter bolts.

All of this is listed in the starter threads in the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your starter is the original OEM unit, I would quickly find a starter rebuild shop and have the unit rebuilt. This can usually be done in a day or two, probably as fast as UPS could deliver a new Chinese piece of junk. And in addition, if you go with a new Chinese direct drive unit, you will need one of the newer support brackets, which you will also need to find and buy. Your old original starter is a much better unit that the Ho-Che-Min versions. Regardless which starter you go with, remember to use new starter bolts ( GM 15544950 ) and torque them to 33 foot pounds.

Hope this helps.

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the info. If I can do the rebuild that sounds like the way to go. Biggest issue is getting her back on the road as soon as the parts hit the shop.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the reduced drive bolt up with no medications needed?
This depends on your "condition".

HAWKMAN

My 86 M1028 is down with s burnt starer. Will the reduced drive bolt up with no medications needed? I need to get the truck back on the road ASAP. The local Auto zone is saying they have a starter in stock but I think the parts guy is not understanding I need a 24 volt starter. If i cant fnd one local I am going to have one shipped. Thanks
I don't know how 'local' I am to you but I have an OEM ,rebuilt, direct drive unit on a shelf ready to go...drop me a PM if interested....HAWK

CUCVLOVER

If your starter is the original OEM unit, I would quickly find a starter rebuild shop and have the unit rebuilt. This can usually be done in a day or two, probably as fast as UPS could deliver a new Chinese piece of junk. And in addition, if you go with a new Chinese direct drive unit, you will need one of the newer support brackets, which you will also need to find and buy. Your old original starter is a much better unit that the Ho-Che-Min versions. Regardless which starter you go with, remember to use new starter bolts ( GM 15544950 ) and torque them to 33 foot pounds.

Hope this helps.
that's the best thing you can do.
I know that this isn't cucv but.

my dad was telling me once that in the 80's you could buy a cheap'o china starter for about 20 bucks and you would wear out the bolts taking it on and off every month to get a new. but if you spent about 50 bucks and got a new from GM starter you would be fine until the truck rotted away.

This is true young one...I was livin and workin in Los,Angeles at the time and the starter and alt went out on the old 78 gmc and I hoofed it to the local trac auto parts store...paid 19.99 for a alt that went out more than I did and I took it back about 3 times before I gave up and got my $ back for it and bought one from a good local rebuilder. same story on the starter but I only gave it one replacement attempt.at that time they wernt all from china just not rebuilt well.
that's the best thing you can do. I know that this isn't cucv but. my dad was telling me once that in the 80's you could buy a cheap'o china starter for about 20 bucks and you would wear out the bolts taking it on and off every month to get a new. but if you spent about 50 bucks and got a new from GM starter you would be fine until the truck rotted away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks