• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting a 250 in the can

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a 250, I want to see if its any good. With the multis, you just drop the fuel lines in a jerry can and apply power. Some with the 250? How do I turn it off once its running? Thanks for any help.

Westech

CPL
There is a manual fuel cut off on the pump. Its a leaver just swing it to the rear of the engine and it will cut the fuel. but the electric cut off should work, lets fuel flow when power added and cuts out when no power.. just like a CUCV. As for supplying the fuel.. just drop the feed line an a can f fuel.. no pump in the tank (lift pump)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 250 needs 24 volts applied to the fuel shut-off valve(on top of the IP) to run. You can also, just turn the knurled knob in, to override this(if there is no battery voltage availible). So, to shut it off, you can simply disconnect volttage at the fuel valve or screw it back out(whichever way you choose).

Oh yeah, the emergency shutoff valve works too! Westy rocks!

Last edited:

mckeeranger

GR,

Here is a pic of what they're talking about. The fuel control solenoid is "A" and when powered with 24v, is open. When you drop power it closes. You can override the valve by turning the knob "B" in. This allows the engine to run without electrical power, so a truck can be pull started and run with dead batteries.

The emergency cut off is "C" and is open when forward, closed when back.

It can help to prime the pump by removing the cap "D" and filling it with clean fuel. Be sure the little filter goes back in place inside that cap before you try to start it. It's the last filter before the injectors.

Attachments

Last edited:

ida34

Don't you think you should have checked the engine before you fried your other one? You should have at least checked to make sure it was an LDS not a Cummins. :twisted:

fasttruck

Remember uncle packs crate engines at depot with the belts loose so they do not stretch in storage. Watch that belts are not damaged or damage something else when starting engine. Without a vehicle harness power will have to be supplied to fuel solenoid or same put in bypass. If fuel supply is higher than pump engine should draw fuel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, build yourself a rack to hang on the side of the can with one of thise fancy slave receptaces so that you can start all your canned engines from a running truck.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think , this trip the repower is happening. I was just on the horn with Gimpy, and he and Dennis were at a Strip Joint. Gimpy was whining about it being cold out also.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess they didn't stay long, or were just passing by. I just had a call, "It's Alive"!
I could hear it running in the background.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's alive? The 250 or the M62A2? Weather.com reports the temp in Tiro, OH as 12 degrees. That's fairly cold.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Cummins 250 is running, they fired it up. This is the same motor in a can, that fell out of his truck, at Oilcans place. Oddly, it had no oil in the base! He said his Deuce and the 250 were running and the Pole-barn was a bit smokey in there(I picture a Cheech and Chong moment there).

No work on his wrecker, for this trip.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks