• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting a multi

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have some motors sitting that I was told were runners. I got one going yesterday and worked on another today. When I spin it over, I get some white smoke indicating it is getting fuel, but it never starts. I thought it might be the IP, but it doesn't even fire when I give it a whiff of either. Anyone have any guesses?

gimpyrobb

I had the front valve cover off to find TDC so I could install an IP. Nothing looked rusted, it all had a good coat of eril on it.

Westech

CPL
the only thing that will cause that other then valves open is the timing is way ! off. IE Very very low compression. If it were Injection pump timing it still would get a couple pops off starting fluid. It would have to be cam to crank timing.

Jimma

One of mine did that recently. I drained some old fuel and water from each of the fuel filters, added some diesel Kleen with cetane boost and then used the manifold heater switch and it finally started.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like low compression to me also. Could be stuck valves or something else.

gimpyrobb

This motor is hanging off the hook of my wrecker boom. The fuel lines are routed to a jerry can with clean diesel. I will check valve lash tomorrow. Ten and twenty five, right?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing that get's me is that it won't hit on ether. If you've got good compression, it seems to me it should atleast hit on ether.

I'm leaning towards either timing issue or some massive blow-by in all cylinders, which I kinda doubt, have you checked for obvious fuel in oil? Good luck and let us know what you find in there Gimp :grd:

poppop

Gimp, I had a cotton picker do that one time. It would not even hit on ether. The mechanic I called decided the rings were so dry from sitting all year the compression was weak. He sprayed wd40 I think into the intake while spinning the motor. It started and ran fine the rest of the season.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seen this once before on an 855 Cummins in a Crown fire truck. The blasted thing wouldn't hit a lick even with a new pump. Absolutly zero smoke to clue you in as to what the issue might be. Tried an experiment and plugged in the block heater, let it sit over night and it lit right off. Let it cool, no go. It was just worn out. It went to Mexico after that. We told the guy of course.

gimpyrobb

So today I went through and adjusted the valves. Three of the intake valves were real tight, couldn't get the feeler gauge in there. One exhaust needed attention too. After I closed it back up I tried to fire it and no-go. Not even with ether. Next I unloaded some WD-40. I used enough that it started to pool in the intake. Still no-go even with ether. I stood back and thought for a bit. Last ditch effort, swap the starter. It was not turning over as fast as my m63 or m35. With the next starter installed, it wouldn't fire. It was faster, but not by much. It would have been nice to get the motor running, but I really only wanted to see if the IP was good. I decided just before I pulled the IP to put on the running motor, I would try a whiff of ether, it popped twice! I let it rest for a min, and tried again, it came to life but died when the ether ran out. WTF! I pulled the engine kill cover off, and it was in the off position. I sprayed it with the WD and it freed up just fine. Re-installed cover and with a whiff of ether, she woke up. Wow cool beans. Had good oil pressure too.

I pulled the engine kill cover off, and it was in the off position. I sprayed it with the WD and it freed up just fine. Re-installed cover and with a whiff of ether, she woke up. Wow cool beans. Had good oil pressure too.

:doh: why is it we collectivly couldnt think of one of the simpler things wrong, lol, nice job though Gimp, good to hear you got it running

weeeeeeell the valves might have had a bit to do with it :razz: lol, depending on the weaher though doing valves on a diesel can be kinda theraputic, had to redo my school Mack in freezing temps last year because we let someone get us distracted the first time and did them out of order aua. something tells me that will have to be on my winter check list, seems that everyones stop cable is binding up right about now, think this is the second or third instance ive seen in the last week and a half, just as temps start dropping and pump diesel is being changed (if pump diesel is a factor in either case)

gimpyrobb

It was not a factor in this instance. This pump was sold to me unknown. I decided to see if I could get an unknown motor, unknown IP, unknown injector lines, and unknown starter to work. I was not too worried about it as the motor is a 1965 I think. It is NOT a TD block so I had low expectations for it.