• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting advice

2deuce

Hello, I could use some advice on cold starting. It was only 32 degrees but ran the batterys down. Batterys are new. Starts harder than I think it should even when its 60 degrees. Runs strong and starts good after warm up.
Thanks

CGarbee

Also, if you've got a truck that tends to let the fuel run back out of the injector, letting the tank pump run for a bit to ensure that you've got fuel all the way up to the engine will help things... If you're cranking the engine without fuel up top, it takes a long time... One of my three always starts better if it has been sitting for a while if I flip the switch, walk around the truck, then try to crank it.

JohnnyReb

Ugg013 said:
Guy's:

Why not pull out the throttle cable? :?

Later
Ugg 8)
I put my pedal to the floor to start but then pull back to an idle until the oil pressure builds up. Don't think I would want to have the throttle cable way out and the rpms screaming without sufficient oil pressure.

Westech

CPL
DO NOT HOLD PEDAL TO THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!! on the ld(t)465 motors you can lock up the motor with unburned fuel. The injectors will flow enough fuel to start it. You can "play" with the pedal a bit after it starts to pop to get it going, BUT NEVER HOLD IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAD BAD BAD!!! DON'T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE.

mangus580

aww c'mon WT.... you would have a good time over here ;-)

Actually when cold starting my deuce, I pull the throttle out about 2 clicks.... and thats where I start it....

I was just mentioning whats stated for the 6.2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multifuels have a history of hydrolocking on fuel. I'm with Westech, don't fool too much with the throttle when starting. Also consider the 10 seconds (eternity while starign at the gauge) you have with no oil pressure.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the flame heater doesn't fire you are filling the intake manifold with raw diesel, which could lead to hydrostatic lock. Be careful when flipping that switch.
Despite all the warnings (PS Magazine), ether can be used, but use it only when cranking and in small "puffs" and DON'T use the flame heater at the same time.

Nothing beats fresh batteries, the engine must crank rapidly to start when it's really cold and I don't touch the "gas" pedal when starting.
After it starts. let it run for a while at idle to build up oil pressure etc. The turbo has no oil supply until the oil pressure is up. Multigrade oil will help in cold weather, although I'm sticking to 30 weight since it doesn't get below zero in my area very often.
Other items to keep in order include clean filters (fuel and air), drained primary filter and fresh diesel fuel. Water in the lines can freeze.

If the weather stays cold for days and you need to use your truck, start and run it for 20 minutes or so, every 4-6 hours around the clock and it will start very easily every time at temps way below zero.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, it's time for me to ask a really stupid question again. Why hasn't anyone installed an oil pressurizing unit in their deuce? You flip a switch, a motor comes on and pressurizes the motor (the gauge shows it) and THEN you start the truck?

This is old hat to trucking companies and drag racers. Just curious. Plus if my old memory serves me correctly it will mount/function in ANY motor, diesel or gas.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Another benefit to the pre-oiler's mentioned is that you can run them after shut down, thus pushing oil through the turbo-Porsche 930 guys have been using them for a long time.

Rattlehead

I have thought about a preluber for the deuce also. But I think the biggest problem is the drainback of the oil filter housings. If there were a way to stop this (unless you are going to change the filters!), it would go a long way. Because of this drainback, I doubt the accumulator style prelubers would be worth much, as they probably don't have the volume to fill the filter housings.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just can't see how an engineer could have designed it that way unless the oil is filtered as it completes its path through the engine. If this were the case, oil would be flowing at start up but pressure woulnd't register untill the cannisters were filled. I'm inclined to think its this way. All these dry startups or so they appear would have significant effect on oir engines early in life. 60,000 mile engines are common. Any one agree with this thought?

Armada

I agree. The oil pump feeds the engine before the filters.
Isn't the gage the last point in the engine to see pressure? Which would mean oil is flowing before a reading is made.
Also, use an additive, i.e. Lucas, which helps to protect during start-up by leaving a film of lube on all surfaces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks