• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting advice

Rattlehead

I am sure the oil is fed to the bottom end of the engine, but I believe it has to fill the canisters before it is hitting the top end valvetrain components. It seems that I have more engine noise until the time where it begins registering on the gauge, then it quiets further.

spicergear

No to be disagreeable...but does it really feed the engine ahead of the filters? REALLY? Whoever designed that should be shot. I like how you can tell when the oil pressure comes up and the engine clatter softens.

Armada

THe oil pump pulls from the sump (oil pan), feeds the crank, cam, valve train, lifters etc,. Thats why you hear 'valve train clatter' for a couple seconds until the oil becomes pressurized on the top end.
Filters are last in the circuit. They should for the most part remain full, as most have a check vavle to prevent draining. They'll capture the particulates from bearing wear, etc., then back to the sump.
THe oil pump pick up has a screen over it to catch any large particles that may end up in the pan and damage or plug it (gear teeth fragments, gasket material, marbles, beer cans, or whatever).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Glad I'm not the only one w/ beer cans in the oil pan......rofl

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have worked on a lot of M.A.N.N. engines. They all have oil groves in the bearings. The crankshaft is the first one to get oil. The bad news? The turbo gets it's oil last. Witch is good for buisness! When you start up listen how long it takes for the turbo to slow down. Most M.A.N.N. engines use a bypass filtration system. Meaning not all the oil is filtered. It is eventually, but it doesen't go to the filters first. Oil to the crank is first priority. But back to the "?". Are you sure your lift pump is working? If not check the fuse under the 3 bolt cap on top of the lift pump. If it's blown pull the pump and clean the screen and the pump impeller. If too much trash gets into the pump it will slow down and pull too many amps. Witch will pop the fuse. If this pump isn't working the truck will run, but it will be harder to start and starve for fuel at high rpm's.

spicergear

Armada said:
THe oil pump pulls from the sump (oil pan), feeds the crank, cam, valve train, lifters etc,. Thats why you hear 'valve train clatter' for a couple seconds until the oil becomes pressurized on the top end.
Filters are last in the circuit. They should for the most part remain full, as most have a check vavle to prevent draining. They'll capture the particulates from bearing wear, etc., then back to the sump.
THe oil pump pick up has a screen over it to catch any large particles that may end up in the pan and damage or plug it (gear teeth fragments, gasket material, marbles, beer cans, or whatever).
Again, forgive me for being arguementative...but that is incorrect. I have infront of me the LDS-465-1 Engine Lubrication System Diagram and it shows, with little arrows, the path of the oil. From pump up through block, around a single cam bearing, then heads out of block to filters, THEN back into block to main oil passages to then go to mains and cam. You expect to pump crap straight from the pan into the mains only relying on the pick up screen? The clatter is because it has to go through the filters before it starts to pressurize the rest of the engine. See pics below-

ida34

Spicergear is right. All engines that I have worked on have the filter directly after the pump in the oil path. This is why most new oil filters have an anti-drain back valve so that oil will not drain from the filter back into the sump. This gives pressure to the system faster. Deuce filters do not have the drain back valve as far as I have seen. It would defeat the purpose to have the filter after the bearings. The idea is to keep stuff from getting into the bearings and small passages. The only mechanical thing the filter does not protect it the oil pump.

rdixiemiller

Look in the LDS troubleshooting guide in the tech section. It shows the oil flow through the galleries.
I bought a LDT 465 1D engine in the can for $550. Turns over good, built in '89. Found some paperwork in the can that stated that the engine ran, but was leaking oil from the edge of the head gaskets. Engine was new in '89, no rebuild tags. I'll start it up some day and see how it runs.

2deuce

Thanks everyone for the advice and info. That is interesting about the oiling system. That would be messy if there was a check valve holding them full of oil when you changed them. Old trucks and jeeps only filtered a small % of the oil pumped and none was filtered for the lower end with those old sock filters.
It was 50 degrees out yesterday and it started easily. I took the advice of turning it on letting the buzzer sound and walking around the truck. Charging the fuel system definately made a difference because it started easier than ever. Turning it off was a different matter it was pitch black dark and I pulled the throttle instead. Runs fast and loud with the throttle pulled full out. OOOPS. Thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks