• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Canister on Firewall, Quick Start

KaiserM109

Does anyone have any experience with the starting canister mounded next to the windshield washer on an M923A1?

Should I use it?
What kind of fluid is normally in it?
Where can I get it replaced/refilled?
It looks exactly like a propane canister; can I use propane in it?

I searched this website and couldn't find any discussions about this subject.

Csm Davis

Does anyone have any experience with the starting canister mounded next to the windshield washer on an M923A1?

Should I use it?
it only works below 40°
What kind of fluid is normally in it?
Ether
Where can I get it replaced/refilled?
Napa or Carquest
It looks exactly like a propane canister; can I use propane in it?
I would not.
I searched this website and couldn't find any discussions about this subject.
search on here stinks but there are threads on here about that to, if you can find them.

steelandcanvas

Arlen, I'm sure there are quite a few posts on this subject, you probably didn't guess the correct super-secret magic word when searching. ;)

You can also find the ether canisters at any truck stop. Sapp Bros, Loves etc.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CSM Davis covered it pretty well.

I'd just add - I carry a can of ether in the cab, and squirt it into the intake while cranking. This leaves the more specialized container on the firewall full in case my little can runs out. The long trip down the intake stack mixes it with air pretty well also.

Only squirt while cranking. You don't want one cylinder to get a disproportionate amount.

Only squirt with good reason - if it isn't really cold it probably isn't needed.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I add just ONE more little suggestion and dont take this the wrong way please, there are many sources and one of them is right on this site and many more scattered around the internet where we can all read the official TMs (Technical Manuals) for all out trucks and assorted equipment. I do not know what your experience is with larger Diesel trucks but with that said the 939 Series 5 ton trucks are a fairly complicated piece of equipment and you are going to have a WHOLE LOT MORE questions concerning this truck, may I politely suggest getting a set of manuals, or in the least look at the TMs that are on this site for exactly your truck, its great reading and you will learn about an extremely valuable resource we all use when servicing our equipment!
Good luck
Karl

lindsey97

Don't pay $50 for a single cylinder. Think I paid like $16 per cylinder in late 2014. Try Fleetpride, or Truckpro. Don't know what you have in your neighborhood.

My M923A1 uses Quickstart brand 22 ounce cylinder, Part # LP535, NSN 2910-00-646-9727. Quick Start products, 815-562-5414.

Use the ether assist sparingly, and 1 cylinder will last for a long time. Be sure you have hot batteries, and good clean connections for optimal performance in colder climates. If you have weak batteries, using ether will worsen your starting woes and vapor lock the motor, if you don't break any parts.

Get the motor spinning first when cold, then use the ether assist to get the motor to light off. Do NOT spray a lot of ether in the intake, and then crank the motor over. Doing so stresses your internal motor parts, and can/will damage your starter motor. Do NOT use ether to start an already warmed up motor. The expansion rate of ether is very high and using it to start a hot motor can lead to big problems.

The reason diesels use ether assist to start them in colder climates is this: Diesel fuel needs to be heated to around 575 deg. F before it will combust or detonate easily. In order to start a diesel when the ambient temp is below 32 deg. F, you have to crank the motor over several revolutions, smashing the air and fuel in the cylinders and "warming" the parts. Doing so places a large demand on your starter and batteries Add into the equation ice cold fuel, and some cold batteries, and starting a cold truck becomes quite the task.

Introducing ether into the air intake tract causes an motor to start faster because ether is extremely combustible at even 0 deg. F. You do not have to heat it at all to detonate it. It is extremely dangerous and flammable. The only downsides to using ether is that it causes a large amount of stress on your engine internals, and it wipes/burns the engine oil off of your cylinder walls when used.

Two of the best things that you can add to your truck, besides a new set of batteries are:

1) 24 volt waterproof float charger to keep your batteries topped off.

2) Electric block heater. Easily installed, and do not underestimate what a block heater can do when left plugged in overnight in subzero temps. I have block heaters on several of my machines, and can't say enough good about them. I prefer a block heater over a can of ether any day.

redrustyhill

Block heater is better but even in winter when it's 0 or colder it might need ether. My m923 needs ether if its below freezing and needs more than one quick shot. The ether system on this truck only injects fluid if engine is cranking, switch has to be in crank position to energize the ether valve.

KaiserM109

May I add just ONE more little suggestion and dont take this the wrong way please, there are many sources and one of them is right on this site and many more scattered around the internet where we can all read the official TMs (Technical Manuals) for all out trucks and assorted equipment. I do not know what your experience is with larger Diesel trucks but with that said the 939 Series 5 ton trucks are a fairly complicated piece of equipment and you are going to have a WHOLE LOT MORE questions concerning this truck, may I politely suggest getting a set of manuals, or in the least look at the TMs that are on this site for exactly your truck, its great reading and you will learn about an extremely valuable resource we all use when servicing our equipment!
Good luck
Karl
No offense taken; I appreciate frankness.

I downloaded ALL 5 ton TMs onto a USB stick and took it and a laptop with me to pick up the truck. On the trip home the truck threw the water pump belt and I can guarantee that without the TMs I wouldn’t have figured out how to tighten the belt. Before I left to get the truck I read and re-read the operator’s manual and the maintenance manuals. I found how to operate the ether in the TMs, but not where to get it in the civilian world, or if there are any substitutes.

I definitely appreciate the sage advice of SS members, so don’t hesitate to speak up.

PS Lindsey97, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

redrustyhill

TMs can be very helpful. I replaced belts in my truck with no TM as well as many other repairs. It all depends on one's ability and knowledge of trucks. These trucks are actually very simple and straight forward, maybe more complicated than a bicycle but much more simple than a modern truck. I have literally spent hours going through Tm's trying To troubleshoot a problem and the answer simply was not there, TM is not the answer to all issues and from my experience only covers the most basic problems to walk a non-mechanicly minded person through procedures to fix something. I hate when people say go to the TM when someone asks a question about a MV, one of the reasons of this site is to share knowledge and help other members solve issues. I have learned more from other more knowledgeable people on here than I have from any TM, especially when it comes to making modifications, improvements, or locating parts.

lindsey97

Back in the day (when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and dirt was newish) Caterpillar had a gasoline powered "pony motor" that was used to start the main diesel engine. It was used in place of a electric starter motor. It had a clutch, and would hand crank or electric start, and run for several minutes, warming the coolant of the diesel motor, because they were shared between the 2. The pony motor had no exhaust, its exhaust (and heat) would travel thru the intake tract, combustion chamber, and out the exhaust, because the operator had engaged the exhaust decompress lever on the diesel motor.

When it was time to start the diesel engine, the operator would engage the hand clutch on the pony motor, spinning the diesel motor 100-200 rpm letting the oil pressure build, with no compression. Then he would shut the exhaust decompression lever, cuasing the diesel motor fire and run on its own. Then the operator would disengage the pony motor clutch, and shut off the pony motor.

Heat is pretty important when trying to start a cold diesel engine.

redrustyhill

Back then starting a big diesel engine took some actual skill and ability! My 923 simply will not start at 0 degrees farenheit without outside heat source and even then with a block heater requires a little "smelling salt" to assist if its colder than 0

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Back in the day (when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and dirt was newish) Caterpillar had a gasoline powered "pony motor" that was used to start the main diesel engine...
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one old enough to remember a pony engine! We had one in the 244th Engr. Bn. That blinkin' pony could be hard to start in cold, though.

lindsey97

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one old enough to remember a pony engine! We had one in the 244th Engr. Bn. That blinkin' pony could be hard to start in cold, though.
I will be 37 on july 3rd, 2015. I grew up on a farm and played many a day on a 1942 Caterpillar RD-38 D6. Cable blade, manual clutches. It belonged to my dad. I never got to hear it run.
Later when I was a teenager, we cut the old dozer up for scrap iron. (wasn't hurting or in trouble, didn't need the money) Now I hate myself for doing that.....

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much is a case? Napa wants almost $50 for ONE canister! I can buy 2 cases of regulat starting fluid for what one cylinder costs
Honestly I can't remember. I know it was cheaper than that per unit with shipping of 12. Give them a call. Gotta remember though you'll never use 12 with one truck in your lifetime.... I have 5 so it made sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks