• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Four HMMWV engines in the can

superburban

Just won 4 HMMWV engines at Ft. Carson

I won a lot of 4 6.2's from Ft. Carson. I'm pretty excited, cause my M10Faux9 (my civvy 86 diesel Blazer) needs a new engine. I sure hope I didn't buy 4 thousand lbs of scrap!

Any words of wisdom for me before I make the trip to recover them? Also, what are my chances of getting runners?

Last edited by a moderator:

superburban

I paid for my engines today. I notice that they charged my CO sales tax, even though I'm in UT. Is that how it always goes? Anyway, the engines all come in shipping containers, so I'm going to have to bring my big, junky flatbed trailer for this operation.

Thought I'd show some of the GL pics:

Attachments

Barrman

The cans themselves are around 600 pounds. Those things don't slide very good either. This is one of those times you want the fork lifts of GL involved. If you don't have that help, I am not sure how you are going to load them. Something to think about.

ranchhopper

I won a lot of 4 6.2's from Ft. Carson. I'm pretty excited, cause my M10Faux9 (my civvy 86 diesel Blazer) needs a new engine. I sure hope I didn't buy 4 thousand lbs of scrap!

Any words of wisdom for me before I make the trip to recover them? Also, what are my chances of getting runners?
I bought some from there in earlier sales mine were stored for a long time they were pretty rusty inside from condensation but still useable.

superburban

I bought some from there in earlier sales mine were stored for a long time they were pretty rusty inside from condensation but still useable.
That's some good news. I sure hope I get some good engines. I figure this could go one of two ways in the eyes of my wife:

#1. I look like the world's biggest genius, because I bought 4 running engines for less than $100 apeice.

or

#2. I look like the world's biggest moron, because I bought 4 junk engines for about $400.

I'm hoping for #1!

barman said:
The cans themselves are around 600 pounds. Those things don't slide very good either. This is one of those times you want the fork lifts of GL involved. If you don't have that help, I am not sure how you are going to load them. Something to think about.
My trailer's deck is pretty low to the ground, so if I can't get a forklift, I guess I can tip up one end with a jack, back the trailer under, then slide (somehow, maybe a pallet jack?) the whole thing onto the trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My observations are as follows. If the engines are coming out piecemeal one or two at a time, it was likely for broken motor. When they sell bigger quantities its usually from repowers/ upgrades.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

That's some good news. I sure hope I get some good engines. I figure this could go one of two ways in the eyes of my wife:

#1. I look like the world's biggest genius, because I bought 4 running engines for less than $100 apeice.

or

#2. I look like the world's biggest moron, because I bought 4 junk engines for about $400.

I'm hoping for #1!

My trailer's deck is pretty low to the ground, so if I can't get a forklift, I guess I can tip up one end with a jack, back the trailer under, then slide (somehow, maybe a pallet jack?) the whole thing onto the trailer.
Most of the engines they sold in this weeks auctions looked like the heads were replaced at one time or another thats a good thing because they have a tendency to crack between the valves. A pallet jack wont work under the engine cans ask me how I know that.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I bought two of those from Huntsville a few months back. The cans are 550 lbs each. I plan on making a woodstove out of one, & an engine test stand out of the other. The injection pumps alone are worth more than you have in them, & look at all the spare parts you'll have. (if nothing else) I LIKE PARTS :D JOHN

SPCHowe

I picked up one HMMWV engine in a can using a Stock Chevy silverado at FT. Carson, and the fork lift was able to lift it right into the bed so if your trailer is equal to or lower than a modern pickup bed you should have no problem getting them on.

superburban

That's all good news (except for the pallet jack not working thing)! I'm surprised at how my wife has responded to me winning this auction. She seems to be confident in my decision! Something must be wrong.

mudguppy

... When they sell bigger quantities its usually from repowers/ upgrades.
i'm not aware of any 'upgrade' programs for HMMWVs. the upgrade to 6.5s was communicated at the DS level to order a different NSN or the expediter would automatically upgrade the RONDON with the new (6.5) NSN if you used the old (6.2) NSN. you need a reason to replace an engine; having a 6.2 was not a reason to oder a new engine. some operations may have fudged something, but the power was the same so there was no benefit to tossing out a 6.2.

IMO, a 6.2 in a can is a replaced/bad motor for either cracked block, spun bearing, rod knock, or AOAP directive. even if it runs, that doesn't mean it's good. sorry, but there's no reason for a 'good' 6.2 to be in a can.

the bright side is the spare parts collection you just acquired...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hundreds of 6.2s came out of Camppbell a few years back. That one location just happen to have hundreds of engine failures? Perhaps I falsely assumed it was repowers.

ranchhopper

I have bought numerous 6.2s in cans that were new rebuilds the tags said excessive blow by they never ran them in so the rings never had a chance to seat once run in they ran great no more blow by.

Last edited:

Chief_919

i'm not aware of any 'upgrade' programs for HMMWVs. the upgrade to 6.5s was communicated at the DS level to order a different NSN or the expediter would automatically upgrade the RONDON with the new (6.5) NSN if you used the old (6.2) NSN. you need a reason to replace an engine; having a 6.2 was not a reason to oder a new engine. some operations may have fudged something, but the power was the same so there was no benefit to tossing out a 6.2.

IMO, a 6.2 in a can is a replaced/bad motor for either cracked block, spun bearing, rod knock, or AOAP directive. even if it runs, that doesn't mean it's good. sorry, but there's no reason for a 'good' 6.2 to be in a can.

There has been a rebuild program underway for some time now. M998's are stripped down to frame and body and rebuilt to M1097A2 specs, with the heavier suspension to handle add-on armor and 6.5 engines and 4L80E transmissions. The rebuilt trucks are designated M1097R1's

Most are being done at Red River or Letterkenny, however several states are doing the program for their NG vehicles in house. The USMC was trying to make up its mind to do its units at Albany and Barstow or use the Army lines, I am not sure what decision they made.

Lats I heard about 30k M998's had been rebuilt and repowered under this program, and the lines are still running.

A 6.2 from this program stands a good shot of being good. But no way to know where one came from.

superburban

Oh-no! Please dont tell me this! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because the future of my OD collecting is depending on this trip. If I come out ahead, the wifey will give me a long leash, if I lose my shirt, I'm done.

I do know the value of the parts (especially the injector pumps) on these engines, so even if I get a bunch of spun bearings, I think I can make more than my money back.

I spent several hours today clearing glycerine containers (and consolodating the 5 gallon cubies into 55 gallon drums) on my trailer. On Monday, I have to go drop all of the glycerine off at the sewage treatment plant, then I'll have to check the wheel bearings on the trailer and fix the brake controler on my pickup. I plan on driving through the night on Thursday, and picking them up on Friday. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has been a rebuild program underway for some time now. M998's are stripped down to frame and body and rebuilt to M1097A2 specs, with the heavier suspension to handle add-on armor and 6.5 engines and 4L80E transmissions. The rebuilt trucks are designated M1097R1's

Most are being done at Red River or Letterkenny, however several states are doing the program for their NG vehicles in house. The USMC was trying to make up its mind to do its units at Albany and Barstow or use the Army lines, I am not sure what decision they made.

Lats I heard about 30k M998's had been rebuilt and repowered under this program, and the lines are still running.

A 6.2 from this program stands a good shot of being good. But no way to know where one came from.
Which kinda leads me back to my original thought. If they are coming out piecemeal, probably swapped out for a problem. If they are coming out in quantitiy, probably out of a repower program. And now with GL f'n the football, a hundred engines sold at Lockbourne could have been shipped in from Mountain Home Idaho.

Oh, as far as weight, I have a couple of cans showing 1250# so that gets you over 5000#. I'd say you did OK.

Last edited:

SGT LongT

Don't be too worried. I am in the FL National Guard and I can back Chief_919 statement about the National Guard swapping out running 6.2 to be replaced with 6.5. I am on the lookout for these motors too for parts.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks