• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting issue

TacticalDoc

I have read the TM but don't have a quality multimeter. I will be getting one soon. So, I'm asking here about an issue I have starting my truck. My first question is which multimeter to buy?
I'm thinking of a Fluke Multimeter but not sure which model.

I have new batteries (1100 amps each). When my truck (M-923) is cold (initial start) it always starts up without any problems. But, after driving it and shutting it off it doesn't start some times and some times it does. When this happens the starter doesn't make any noise as if there isn't any electricity getting to the starter. After a few attempts it starts up again but, it's random. Sometimes it starts up and some times it doesn't. I'm thinking it's the control box. Any ideas or experiences with this?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Go to homedepot and get an Ideal. I have an Ideal and a Fluke(and one or two others I keep just in case). Both are reliable.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I prefer fluke meters. Ideal makes quality products too though. Tighten all the connection nuts on your starter contacts. I had one loose once it had a little corrosion gave me intermittent starting. No hot starts does sound like the starter or pcb.

Cruceno

I'm having the same issue with starting. Its very random, maybe two or three times in the last 6 months, but I get nothing out of the starter. Then if I try again, it cranks right up. I suspect it to be a bad ground but haven't found a culprit yet

TacticalDoc

I prefer fluke meters. Ideal makes quality products too though. Tighten all the connection nuts on your starter contacts. I had one loose once it had a little corrosion gave me intermittent starting. No hot starts does sound like the starter or pcb.
I did that already.

I'll get e multi meter then test the control box as it says in the TM. But, if anyone with the same problems figures it out let me know.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Testing for an intermittent issue is not simple. If it were me I would get a known good pcb and swap it. If that does not fix the problem I would move on to the starter. You can drop out the starter switch and check the Packard connectors going to it. I have seen them not properly seated and even one with a bad crimp job when I was swapping it for a keyed ignition. I had to crimp a new connector on the wire the old connector just fell off.

randygk

We had the same problem. Turned out to be a loose ground connection on the control box mounting bolt. Might also check transmission neutral switch.

acme66

I had an issue like this and in my two banks of batteries one was bad in each. Sometimes it would whirr to life and other times it would refuse to roll over. Disconnected the two bad ones, linked the two good ones 6 months later and those two good ones still turn it over just fine. As to why it acted that way...idk

Ken

Lawrence of Arabia

Where is the control box located? My truck has good batterie but the starter just clunks repeatedly when trying to start like it does not have enough power to turn engine over. It use to start with a jump, but now it will not.

acme66

Where is the control box located? My truck has good batterie but the starter just clunks repeatedly when trying to start like it does not have enough power to turn engine over. It use to start with a jump, but now it will not.
Try taking the cables loose at the starter, cleaning and reclamping. Be willing to be your issue goes away. Mine did the same thing.

Ken

5tonman1971

It sounds like your 3 way starter switch is bad. If it was your box you would get a click from it. I can almost guarantee that it's your switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks