• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting issue

sierrajcharlie

I’ve read the TM’s and did a bunch of searches but haven’t found anything quite like my issue.

A little background first, to start with it's a M1009 with no modifications except that I’ve replaced the OEM fuel filter with a spin on unit. The glow plugs were replaced with AC60G’s about 6 months ago to try and help it start better. The temperatures here have been between 70-100 degrees.

To start it in the morning or after work, hit the key, let it spin 3-4 times, back key off and wait for the ‘wait’ light to go off. Once the “wait” light is off, hit the key again and it will start in 2-3 seconds. There is no smoke thru this cycle. Once running, the plugs will cycle 3 times. Normal.

If you run it for awhile then shut it off. If you restart it in less than 10 minutes it’ll pop right off. No “wait” light, no need to crank for a bit. Here’s the problem….. If it sits for much longer than that it needs to be cranked and cranked and cranked. I do take breaks on the starter. There’s no “wait” light. When it does start, there is no smoke and the plugs do not cycle. Once running it just sits there and purrs. I had someone with me once so I had them hit the key after I pulled the pink wire off of the IP pump and it did click when I put it back on. I replaced the fuel filter thinking that maybe the other one was getting plugged. I’ve had the unit less than a year and a plugged filter wouldn’t have surprised me. But that made no difference. I've looked but haven't found any fuel leaks. Nothing around the IP either.

It runs fine. There isn’t any smoke or any kind of hesitations/surges going down the road. I’m thinking a weak lift pump and just putting in an electric pump and hoping that would solve the issue. But I thought I’d ask others who may have a better idea.

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

I see a few have read this but so far I've stumped the panel. I kind of hoped it wouldn't be an "easy" answer (so I didn't look like a total dummy) but I hoped someone would have an idea. I'd read a couple of posts with people mentioning something on this order but never saw that they had it fixed.

Zero_cool

Here’s the problem….. If it sits for much longer than that it needs to be cranked and cranked and cranked. I do take breaks on the starter. There’s no “wait” light. When it does start, there is no smoke a

How long do you have to crank for?
My truck does this as well,but I only have to crank for 5 - 10 secs.
I've read that some guys mod a push button for there glow plugs.
Something about the glow plugs still need to come on but they wont unless the engine is under 160 degrees?
I'm no expert and I'm not saying this is your problem or what you should do.
Im just giving you something to think about. Hopefully someone that knows more about this than me will jump in soon. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
dan

Chief_919

Sounds like a fuel issue. I have had failing IP's do that.

I is mostly likely an IP on its way out that is not working properly when it sits and soaks up heat. If you let it cool for a few hours does it start easier?

sierrajcharlie

Yeah, that's what it's doing. That's also what I was hoping it wasn't. I have zilch experience with IP's. If it was a gas engine, I'd say that it was getting vapor locked. Well, I guess I'll have to start thinking about getting it rebuilt or get a different one. Thanks for the shout!!

rhino318

try pouring a little water on the pump housing to see if the pump will tighten up ,my dad worked on these 6.2 pump since they came out in the 80's

Chief_919

try pouring a little water on the pump housing to see if the pump will tighten up ,my dad worked on these 6.2 pump since they came out in the 80's
Yup, try that. If cooling it off with water (go slow) lets it start right up, your IP is on its way out.

The "Hot no-restart" issue is well known to be an issue with the Stanadyne pumps as they go out. Low lubricty fuels aggravate the issue.

sierrajcharlie

Yup, try that. If cooling it off with water (go slow) lets it start right up, your IP is on its way out.

The "Hot no-restart" issue is well known to be an issue with the Stanadyne pumps as they go out. Low lubricty fuels aggravate the issue.
I didn't know about the deal with the hot pump. I'll try the water trick next time it happens. I've been putting in 2 cylce oil w/the fuel lately. Before that I was using Power Service "White bottle" thru the winter months. I got the rig in November and started the PS in December. I have noticed a difference in the "chatter" from under the hood when I forget to add the oil.

I had been thinking about the glow plug system but when it acts up, the motor is still hot enough to burn you pretty good. Still thinking about the lift pump but with the info on the IP that fits the symptoms pretty well. Not that I'd rather have it be the pump, it just fits better.

A month ago the rear end shelled so we got to tear that out. The tranny doesn't make the thing stay when in park. The parking brake works though! I got the rig as something to fiddle with with the family. I didn't realize it was a Stradivarius!

The oldest boy is going to school in a couple of weeks for diesel mechanics. Maybe I'll let him do some checking there on getting the IP worked on as a "class project".

Thanks to all who gave me some input on this!!

sierrajcharlie

Well, I think I may have figured out the problem. :oops:aua I looked again at everything when it was "warm". I noticed that the rubber fuel line I had ran behind the rear battery looked "a little flat" and it was also a bit soft. Hadn't seen that before, had always been looking for wet spots. I'm thinking that when it's warm it flattens out completely. So, I bought some 3/8 steel brake line, it slid snuggly into the rubber hose, and made a 180 to the filter. Before install, ran a bunch of diesel thru it to "clean it" and then clamped it in good. Last night I drove it for about a 1/2 hour then let is sit for 30 minutes in 75 degree weather. It then popped off after about 3 seconds of cranking. I'm HOPING, that it was the issue, but am still thinking about getting some work done to the lift pump and IP.

Thanks again to all who offered advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks