• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting it up

hello, i am going to try to get my truck running and would like to get some direction on what to check or do befor pushing the start button. i know to drain somefuel from all the fuel filters and look at the fuel, check the oil and coolent and breaks. just need to runt the engine to use the winch to get it on a trailer. or drive it on idk what is easer or safer.but is there anything else that should be checked for? i read the and printed out the TMs on starting but its a old truck and who knowes how long it been since it been running. thanks for any help you can give me.

Capt.Marion

Turn the engine over with the start button for a few seconds before pushing the "ENG STOP" lever back in. This allows you to check if the engine is hydro-locked without risking the engine trying to start with a hydro-locked cylinder.

mcmullag

Is it possible that on your avatar and description area, you would be able to list what city or county you are located in FL so another SS deuce owner may help you face to face? The winch takes at least 2 people to operate with one in the cab and one on the winch controls.
Cranking and getting oil up in the engine is important first before firing it up. Also, cranking with the engine stop thingy pulled out is good to check for hydraulic lock in the cylinders in case injectors have been leaking.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anytime I start an unknown truck I try to have a 2nd person there. I pull the intake mushroom and have a short board standing by in case the IP is stuck and you get a runaway. If you put the board over the intake tube and your hand over the air compressor tube (for fording) on the air cleaner case, it will shut the motor down. Just because you have the engine stop cable doesn't necessarily mean it will work.

mikey

Anytime I start an unknown truck I try to have a 2nd person there. I pull the intake mushroom and have a short board standing by in case the IP is stuck and you get a runaway. If you put the board over the intake tube and your hand over the air compressor tube (for fording) on the air cleaner case, it will shut the motor down. Just because you have the engine stop cable doesn't necessarily mean it will work.
that is a much better solution than TM 9-2320-209-10-1, 4-57:

WARNING
If engine does not stop after you have pulled the ENG. STOP
control knob out, leave the truck immediately and take cover
to avoid personal injury

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks