• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting my cucv??is yours the same??

asg13

Quick question..when starting my 1008, i hold the pedal to the floor until the glow plug light comes on, then goes off and module clicks, finally turning the ignition to start..forgive me i am a newbie but is this standard protocol or some mod added to the vehicle???? No problems just curious..

Thx

asg13

Hmm..never checked..i have just always started the way the previous owner told me..wondered if this was normal.

cpf240

The starting procedure is also spelled out in the -10 TM. All the TMs for this truck are available at no cost on this site in PDF format. Lots of good info in there!

Ive never had to touch the peddle when starting!
I've never read a thread on SS's CUCV forum where someone didn't just post as the answer to a question, "It's all in the TM's". It's a completely annoying response, as is yours. Why bother at all- other than to pad your ego and post count?

It must be really warm where you live, or, more likely, you have an allergy to the very sophisticated housing pressure cold advance solenoid feature of the CUCV. That's in the TM's too.

But, if you searched, and read the TM's, you would know that too; and your punctuation is completely improper, or just plain lacking. You should be banned on many accounts.

So much for this forum starting off the new year on a helpful friendly foot.

OP: when it's cold, stomp your foot down before cranking.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TMs are printed fact.

The internet is full of bologna.

Which should you beleive when you want the correct information?

The best part about military stuff is it is all well documented with TMs.

The forums should be used to teach how to use the TMs and help with issues not understood after reading the TMs.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i hold the pedal to the floor until the glow plug light comes on, Thx
The glow plug is activated by the ignition circuit and not the pedal. :) Proper procedure is as follows:

1.) turn key on, wait for glow plug to cycle and turn off
2.) Press pedal all the way to floor and release (engages cold advance and fast idle)
3.) On cold mornings, below 30 press all the way to floor and hold, engage ignition
4.) Above 30 press 1/2 way down: engage ignition

Note your temperatures may vary,

When warm do not press accelerator

Start, let warm up, I like 4 minutes and then find cool things to do with your CUCV

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinny

Pretty sure an injection pump has no choke. The visor states to press down half way if a certain temperature range, depress fully if below a certain temperature. This is rocket science. It has been stated and well documented on here and in the TM. I think people are messing this up because the truck has GP or fuel related issues.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't pump it, and flood the engine!:p

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think people are messing this up because the truck has GP or fuel related issues.
Or the previous owner did some "creative" wiring. Many CUCVs (MVs for that matter) have been hacked up because people just don't understand the wiring.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure an injection pump has no choke. The visor states to press down half way if a certain temperature range, depress fully if below a certain temperature. This is rocket science. It has been stated and well documented on here and in the TM. I think people are messing this up because the truck has GP or fuel related issues.

See DogHead is right, the internet is full of Sh..t. I thought we had an electric choke on the engines. After spending 10 minutes in the TM I do not see one :(

So something engages the engine to idle at a higher RPM for a period of time before it warms up? So inquiring minds want to know. What is controlling the higher RPM during cold startup?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fast idle solenoid on the outside of the pump and the cold advance solenoid under the top cover. They are the items that have the green wire attached to them. Next to the pink wired fuel shutoff.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And it does help to hold the pedal down about halfway, to allow the fast idle solenoid to extend as they are not strong(especially at their age).

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found It, Thank you Warthog!

HOUSING PRESSURE COLD ADVANCE (H.P.C.A.)
All pumps are equipped with a Housing Pressure Cold Advance solenoid. (Figure 4-67). This component has been designed to allow more advance during engine warm-up. It consists of a solenoid assembly and a ball check return connector, both in a redesigned governor cover. The electrical signal which controls the operation of the solenoid is generated by a sensing unit mounted on the rear of the right cylinder head.

1984 and later H.P.C.A. is controlled by a cold advance circuit (C.A.C.) relay.
FAST IDLE/H.P.C.A. TEMPERATURE
CONTROL COOLANT SENSOR SWITCH
OPENS ABOVE 95°F
CLOSES BELOW 85°F
GROUND
Figure 4-67, H.P.C.A. Solenoid Installation.

The switch is calibrated to open the circuit at 95°F for 83 and later (115° on 1982). Below the switching point, housing pressure is decreased from 8-12 psi to zero which advances the timing 3°. Above, the switch opens deenergizing
the solenoid and the housing pressure is returned to 8-12 psi. The fast idle solenoid is energized by the same switch. The switch again closes when the temperature falls below 85°F (95°F on 1982).

PURPOSE:
1. Emission Control device.
2. Better cold starts.
3. Improves idle, reduces white smoke and noise when cold.

H.P.C.A. OPERATION
During cold warm-up conditions, the plunger moves up and the rod contacts the return connector ball. (Figure 4-6). When the ball is moved off of its seat, the
housing pressure is reduced due to an increased flow through the connector. Because of lowered housing pressure, the resistance to the advance piston
movement is less, and thus the piston can move further in the advance direction.

When the engine reaches normal operating temperature the electrical signal to the solenoid ceases, and the plunger is returned to its initial position. (Figure 4-69).

Attachments

Last edited:

Skinny

You will hear a distinct rpm change if idling and also the diesel clatter will become less immediately if the cold start circuit kicks off whether you are driving or idling.

This is a great sign things are working correctly.

I absolutely do not understand how people butcher or do not understand MV electrical circuits. They are so basic compared to civilian vehicles, especially modern ones. Yes the 24v hybrid system is a bit of an f'd up design but it still works and is still very basic compared to a car that has a regulator built into the engine PCM which is pretty much every car these days. Nothing is automated on an MV with complex body modules. These things are great to learn on because of the simplicity. Amazing how many mechanics screw these trucks up because they can't take 10 minutes to read how the 24v system works.

epitts

7 below last did not plug my M1009 in, went out this mourning and cycled glow plugs twice and held petal half way down. Truck turned over a few times then fired right up. My 01 Dodge would not start, got it plugged in now.

asg13

Ok....now we are talking...in order for my glow plugs to ignite/cycle, i have to smash the pedal to the floor to get the plugs to cycle..guess thats how its wired up..either way, works fine..just curious. I had a feeling it wasnt normal,,
The glow plug is activated by the ignition circuit and not the pedal. :) Proper procedure is as follows:

1.) turn key on, wait for glow plug to cycle and turn off
2.) Press pedal all the way to floor and release (engages cold advance and fast idle)
3.) On cold mornings, below 30 press all the way to floor and hold, engage ignition
4.) Above 30 press 1/2 way down: engage ignition

Note your temperatures may vary,

When warm do not press accelerator

Start, let warm up, I like 4 minutes and then find cool things to do with your CUCV

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok....now we are talking...in order for my glow plugs to ignite/cycle, i have to smash the pedal to the floor to get the plugs to cycle..guess thats how its wired up..either way, works fine..just curious. I had a feeling it wasnt normal,,
Seriously???? The WAIT light does not come on when you engage the ignition? It will only come on if you engage the ignition and then press the accelerator pedal? WOW that is messed up.

Go to the CUCV stickies and start looking at the wiring diagram. They would have had to put a mechanical switch somewhere in the circuit. FIND and DISTROY