• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting my cucvee!

Blazerfan

Hello, Im a new user to SS and I have a question...I have an 84 CUCVEE that I have been working on. I have replaced the glow plugs, solenoid, and fuel filter. It has been starting fine, however the last two mornings when I start it it runs for about 20 seconds and dies and then it wont start. After trying to start it for a while it will finally start and run fine till the next morning. Any ansewrs would help! Thanks.

superburban

Sounds like you are getting air in the fuel lines. These problems are a big pain in the butt to find. Just follow the fuel lines and tighten and inspect any and all hoses.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Especially check the rubber lines that attach the steel lines along the frame and check the rubber line to the fuel pump on the engine. Sometimes, especially when the weather turns cooler, the vacuum in the tank from the cooling fuel will pull the fuel in the lines back. Provided the check valve works in the pump, there's enough fuel in the filter and lines to run for about 15-20 seconds. At that point, your pump might have pulled fuel from the tank, but the filter and lines are full of air and you need to crank it until the air bleeds itself out the lines.

M1075

Any chance you are parking on an incline? My M1009 tends to have the same problem when parked uphill on my driveway.

maritimer

take a look at the rubber line the connects to the lift pump on the passenger side of the engine if your motor mount failed it is probebly rupturing it. mine did that till i fixed the motor mount

jvlmed

I had a similar problem, the fix ended up with replacing the fuel filter base. I believe the pressure switch was leaking. I was unable to find a replacement switch so I replaced the whole unit. Problem solved.

I started a similar post looking for information on a replacement fuel filter base. Look under "leaking Model 80 fuel filter base" in this forum. This post has the adress for aquiring the NOS filter base.

I had gone through searching for an air leak prior to replacing the filter base without any success.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks