• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting my M1008

gocmndo

Well I have been reading the forums, learning all I can as I wait for the magical change form "EUC sent to Battle Creek" to whatever comes next. Honestly I won the auction in December and still waiting. But I have learned this is to be expected.
My question is what steps should I take if/when I get to pick up my truck and want to fire it up for the first time?
Today I went up to Hill AFB and was able to inspect the truck and everything looks fine. Used the key code I found here and my key worked great. The truck just would not start.
I hear the clicks from the glow plugs and the starter spins the motor fine, just no magic..
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

Attachments

ida34

Just because you hear clicking does not mean your glow plugs are working. I would check the glow plug system out completely. You can check for fuel by opening the small valve on top of the fuel filter assembly. This is also the way to purge air in the system. Crank and when fuel comes out close the valve.

ida34

You can check to make sure power is getting to the glow plug with a test light on each one. Have someone turn the key on while you are back probing the connector. If you are getting power to the plugs then disconnect them and attach the test light to the positive on the front battery. Then touch the glow plug spade connector. If the test light light then the plug is good. You can also check with an ohm meter and the values were just posted in another thread. I think you should see around 3 ohms. If your test light does not light the glow plug is not working.

Melvinitis

I won mine in December too. EUC came back Friday. Some new friends form this site picked it up today. I got a winner, it was with a guard aviation unit! Body is near mint, everything seems to be intact, including the rubber floor that was supposed to be removed to prevent rust underneath (hope there isn't any).

Word so far is, the batteries look good, but they have not had the time to fuel it and give it a try... Patiently waiting here in Wisconsin, while it waits in NC.

By the way, -11 this morning on my drive to Madison. I saw those CUCV radiator covers on a different thread, I will be ordering one very soon.

Sorry, no photos yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks