• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting my M146 Build

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It that a ceramic tile job or a surround that looks like tile? I also like the color.

Mark

agazza2

Thanks Rayzer, MarkM

MarkM - I asked Rayzer the same question about his a few months ago. It is just vinyl flooring. This way there are no seams, and no caulking to worry about separating as the trailer flexes. I used liquid nail that is used for a multiple of materials. It drys quickly, but gives you just enough time to position it and roll it smooth.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet Build. I have a question. How much space is between the side door entrance and the front of the trailer? I was wondering if you had thought about building the bathroom horizontal in the trailer rather than along the side. I thought if there was enough room, you could build a wall along the door seam and put an entrance at the other side and give you more ample room in the RV. It would open the rest of the trailer up to whatever you need. Just wondered what your thoughts were. Also, did you put the kitchen sink and the bathroom on the same side of the trailer for running less water lines and pipe? I thought maybe you were keeping them close together to help simply running longer lines all over the place.

agazza2

Thank you muthkw25. The space between the door and the wall/door of the bathroom is just over 4'. I did think about putting the bathroom across the front ahead of the side door opening. But after looking underneath, the 5th wheel is in the way of easily routing the pipes. Also this section is directly over the wheels, so anything that might be picked up from the tires could possible damage the pipes unless they were enclosed. I also viewed Rayzers build (the one that inspired this build) and looked at where he put his bathroom. I am sure, he has probably done it for similar reasons.

One the kitchen, I had multiple ideas, but it seem like it would be easier for fresh water and drainage having them both on the same side. I will be building out the cooking area next with an induction cook-top and refrigerator below in the same cabinet. A small fold down table will go in the front section of the trailer. Everything is put on hold for a few weeks while I use the trailer to move to Arizona. Part of the reason for keeping the rest of the trailer open. This allows you to still use the trailer for cargo when the occasion arises.

Started on the metal braces for the storage boxes and water storage tanks. The boxes have been sitting in my garage, and with the move, I could use the extra capacity. Should have some more pictures by next weekend with the boxes installed.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you muthkw25. The space between the door and the wall/door of the bathroom is just over 4'. I did think about putting the bathroom across the front ahead of the side door opening. But after looking underneath, the 5th wheel is in the way of easily routing the pipes. Also this section is directly over the wheels, so anything that might be picked up from the tires could possible damage the pipes unless they were enclosed. I also viewed Rayzers build (the one that inspired this build) and looked at where he put his bathroom. I am sure, he has probably done it for similar reasons.

One the kitchen, I had multiple ideas, but it seem like it would be easier for fresh water and drainage having them both on the same side. I will be building out the cooking area next with an induction cook-top and refrigerator below in the same cabinet. A small fold down table will go in the front section of the trailer. Everything is put on hold for a few weeks while I use the trailer to move to Arizona. Part of the reason for keeping the rest of the trailer open. This allows you to still use the trailer for cargo when the occasion arises.

Started on the metal braces for the storage boxes and water storage tanks. The boxes have been sitting in my garage, and with the move, I could use the extra capacity. Should have some more pictures by next weekend with the boxes installed.
That makes sense. I didn't think of the piped being damaged. I was thinking the extra weight would be good over the rear axles. If you had done the design like that, you would have to have mounted steel or mesh on over all the pipes in that area. Might have been a lot more work. Are you planning on putting super singles on the back of the trailer to even it out with your M932 series truck?

agazza2

Some pictures of the framework going in under the trailer to mount the storage boxes this weekend. The inner brackets will support the fresh/grey and black water tanks. Need to just make some final changes to the boxes to clear the landing leg angle braces and they will be ready to mount in to the trailer. I will be painting them green, as the trailer will be eventually camouflaged in woodland camo along with the truck.

20131105_173122.jpg

RAYZER

Agazza, is the framework where attached to the trailer frame underneath welded or bolted? Theres alot of room under there now! How much ground clearance is there?

agazza2

Agazza, is the framework where attached to the trailer frame underneath welded or bolted? Theres alot of room under there now! How much ground clearance is there?
Rayzer, the framework is welded. And the clearance id 18" which should be fine as long as do not do any high incline/declines. I looked at some long horse trailers, and they are even lower. I needed to be 30" down from the bottom of the floor of the trailer so I could fit in my military boxes. I am hoping to have this completed this weekend in between all the Veterans Day parades. Next week I will move to Arizona, and need to have this portion of the build completed.

At least it will be much easier now to mount the water storage tanks like you did once the move is completed. Still have to purchase the black water and grey water tanks. Being in Phoenix will give me the ability to go to the RV parts store more frequently :)

.Storage Box front.jpgStorage Box front.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you really HAVE to move to Arizona? Can't you just commute?
You're going to be missed around here, my friend!

Cheers

agazza2

Well I finished the installation of my underneath storage boxes and rear bumper on my M146. My original intention was to put a tow dolly on the trailer to tow my car to Arizona. But one of my great SS and MVPA members offered to drive my truck to Arizona for my move. The framework for the support of the boxes still needs to be finished, but I am sure I will find someplace in Arizona that I can paint. I also will trim out around the framework to provide a more aesthetic appearance.

Sure is nice to have the extra capacity of the boxes. This will come in handy when the RV conversion inside is completed. So here are a few pics of the installed boxes.

m146 with boxes.jpgM915 and M146 with boxes installed.jpg

RAYZER

Nice job agazza! The boxes and bumper look great! You can never have enough storage!
A bumper like that is in my plans.
How much room between the boxes underneath?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove agazza2's rig out to Arizona for him last week, loaded with his household stuff.

As usual, the M915 drove like a champ. I limited the speed to 55mph because of the trailer. It is nice traveling at that speed, you get to see the scenery.

The picture is in Texas Canyon AZ, an obligatory photo stop on this trip!

Cheers

Attachments

agazza2

Rory is such a great friend and Awesome person. I greatly appreciate his ability to drive this truck and trailer out to Phoenix. It was the first time today that I had a chance to look into the trailer and everything looks ok. Added the boxes underneath have come in so handy. The extra capacity as the ability to keep paint products underneath was a great benefit. I look forward to starting back on the inside as well as completing the painting of the boxes and outside in the near future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks