• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting new repower/conversion project w/M56 R2 Crash & Rescue Truck

viking1

Thank you, Sir. Yes, bed is in not bad shape (considering what the poor truck has been through). The aluminum in the rear of the quarters has some bends and rips from pushing it with the machine to move it around over the years, but I'll straighten them up. I will be removing the aluminum bed floor to build the dump mechanism once up and running, and will probably just have an "inner bed" that dumps. Would like to convert the rear wheels to duallys, but dont know if that's possible? The winch is coming off this morning; no PTO shaft anymore, so best I send it off to someone who can use it..... :)

Nice progress!!

I see there is more bed left than I originally thought. I (also) will use some diamond plate on the roof (replacing a soft top 923), but I like being able to weld the steel as opposed to aluminum. ...And able to dance on it too (work up high), so will have a bit more support.

Please keep pictures coming. BTW, my 925 winch cable wanted to do exactly what your second photo shows and it was a real one man fight to get it back on properly.

viking1

The hood and Braden LU-4 were removed today. Also sanded and prepped the hood, and would have painted it (were it not in the 30's). Maybe tomorrow.... :)
IMAG0243.jpg

viking1

I took a couple of months off to fully restore a 1954 Ford Golden Jubilee tractor (but that's a story for another forum). I spent the last couple of weeks building a gantry hoist & trolly around the truck bay, installing new gauges in the dash, and building/installing new diamond plate door panels. I should begin shoehorning the engine in this week.... :)
IMAG0293.jpg

combat32

Glad to see she is gonna live again, I agree it was too far gone to restore to original. I for one am glad to see some of these old trucks back on the road serving a useful purpose, better than goin to the scrapper.

viking1

viking1

Its going to be a tight squeeeeeezzzeee!! Looks like the motor mounts need scooting back about 6", and the exhaust manifolds will have to come off....

IMAG0326.jpg
IMAG0325.jpg
IMAG0324.jpg

Sidi

Thanks for hanging on to the R-2. I'm doing some research on the history of the trucks. Does your cab still have the Oneida tag on the lower end of the battery box, near the passenger door floor sill? If so, could you supply the serial number and manufacture date? Or any dates from the dash tags. Also, do you happen to know what Air Force base the truck served? Thanks!

viking1

Thanks for hanging on to the R-2. I'm doing some research on the history of the trucks. Does your cab still have the Oneida tag on the lower end of the battery box, near the passenger door floor sill? If so, could you supply the serial number and manufacture date? Or any dates from the dash tags. Also, do you happen to know what Air Force base the truck served? Thanks!

Sidi, I hadnt had a chance to do work on the truck due to other projects until this weekend; will get that info and post it in the next couple of days....

viking1

I finally got the time/impetus to get the 440 Magnum engine/trans shoehorned into the M56. It actually looks like it belongs there, now that the mounts are welded up and the engine set in. My BMW mechanic friends ("the Beemer boys") are mechanical geniuses, and together we shoehorned that baby into the bay. The fenders (outer AND inner) fit well, and I'm very pleased with the assembled look. After the engine swap is completed, I'll start on adding the dump bed. Will post some more pictures soon..... :)
IMAG0449.jpg
IMAG0448.jpg
IMAG0450.jpg

viking1

IMAG0452.jpg

viking1

The newly-installed 440 runs like a banshee. The Ford Taurus fan (4600 CFM!!) install keeps it running super-cool. We haven't seen a temp above 130-140 yet.

IMAG0460.jpg

The exhaust/mufflers are from a 2006 Ford Mustang 5.0 H.O.. Ultra-quiet, super-clean install, and just great tone. Eventually I will run them into twin stacks just behind the doors.....

IMAG0461.jpg

We also retro-fitted a brake master cylinder from a 1980 C-30 Chevy truck to give us two-stage brakes (important in a vehicle of this size :) ). The info was easily found on uglytruckling.com, and worked like a charm.... :)

One issue left to be tackled is that the 727 torqueflight wouldnt go into any gear. Fluid is new, so we are wondering if its cooked? If so, a rebuild kit is on the near horizon....

:driver:

Last edited: