• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problem

Oldgrunt

Boy the timing on this thread could not have been any better. I went out to start the Deuce on Saturday and nothing but a click. With the Wife on the starter button I got under the hood and got my hand on the relay. When the starter button was pressed the relay clicked, but did not turn the starter over. Checked voltage at the batteries and its up to parr. Now what?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oldgrunt, look over this diagram (ignore the neutral safety switch). Make sure the jumper wire marked "GND" is making a good connection.
Note: The voltmeter may show a good voltage, but if the battery connections are not good, the voltage will drop dramatically when the starter solenoid is energized.
Check ground strap from batteries to the frame.

Attachments

dabtl

Yesterday was the first time I had the opportunity to test out whether or not the relay replacement would solve my starting problem. The truck, purchased from GL last July would intermittently start after heating up. Cold it would start in a heart beat. Hot, maybe, maybe not.

Replacing the relay did the trick. I attended a park dedication yesterday in honor of a local Vietnam vet. Just for practice I started and shut down the truck three or four times hot. No more problems. The relay replacement solved the problem. Sometimes it is the simple things, like hitting the starter with a hammer, that solves the mysteries.