• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Problem

jdmdla

When I tried to start the M1009 this morning, I heard a click under the dash. First thing I did was start to search the forums. Thanks for all the good information out on the forums here. I started with cleaning grounds and battery connections. That did not fix it. So I tried to find the relay underneath the dash to check the voltage per the TM. I did not have two people so, once I found the relay I check the connections on it and tried to start again. And she started... Am I lucky that it was just a loose connection or is this signs of problems to come? I have not done the Doghead modification yet. I am planning on reading up on that this evening. Any suggestions or ideas.
Thanks for all of your help.

cpf240

Could be that the starter relay is going bad. I would replace in on General Principals, because if it fails in the closed position, you could be looking at a lot of repairs to wiring and the starter. The Doghead mod is simple, cheap insurance.

jdmdla

After a little more inspection, it appears that the relay was loose where it mounts. Does the relay ground through this connection?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO, if it's all stock.

TGP (IL)

After a little more inspection, it appears that the relay was loose where it mounts. Does the relay ground through this connection?

No the black wire in the plug is ground.
If it is still orginal with the four wire push on plug,
Then DO THE DOGHEAD RELAY MODIFICATION!

Save yourself some headaches and heartaches.
Tom