• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problems on m1009 blazer

Rambo1

Hello I am new here. I recently purchased a M1009 86 blazer. Someone has converted it to 12v recently and installed correct starter. Don't you have to convert the glow plugs to 12v too? The other day I tried to start it and heard a fuse blow and no glow plug light. Every time key is forward it will blow that fuse. Obviously I have a short to ground. Is there a common problem on these or another way to get it started? What is the best way to wire it up for manual glow plug momentary switch and what needs to be disconnected? I just what it to start every time and not leave me stranded. Thanks in advance.

85CUCVtom

Alright, most of your questions have been answered many times over. I suggest searching the site or using Google. READ THE TM'S!!!!! Everything a Cucv owner ever needs is in the TM'S.

I suggest getting a grasp on how the glow plug system operates by reading this: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?62477-GP-Module-Theory-of-Operation

In a stock configuration, the glow plugs are supplied with 12v. There is a big resistor, the glow plug resistor, on the fire wall behind the air cleaner. This steps the 24v down to 12v then travels over to the diamond shaped terminal on the firewall then to the glow plug relay.

I'm going to attach a wiring diagram for you.

Attachments

Mcox6067

Hi I'm new to this site. And I have no idea how to ask people questions. So I'm gonna try here.
I have 84 m1008 an it's been eating starters it fried 2 starters on me this week. And I would like some help if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mcox - you need to start your own thread. Go to the CUCV Forum and click the orange box at the top "Post New Thread". insert a title and then your question.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rambo, what part of Kansas are you located in. There are several CUCV owners in the Salina, Manhaton area.

Review the CUCV sticky - Theory of Glowplug Operation. It explains the GP system in detail.

In order to help you with the wiring we will need pictures and details of how the previous owner made the 12v conversion.

Rambo1

I am not sure how it was from factory
But one alternator is removed and 12v starter installed
What else should I look for?
I live 90 miles north east of Salina and 75 miles north west of Manhattan

MarcusOReallyus

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure how it was from factory
But one alternator is removed and 12v starter installed
What else should I look for?
I live 90 miles north east of Salina and 75 miles north west of Manhattan
can you post some pics of the wiring? Does it look like the wires where cut or just disconnected and taped up? Any "extra" wiring?

Gripy

I'd take those extra long connectors that look like they're almost touching off of the GP relay. Is the feed for the GP relay (top red wire) going through the big resistor on the back?