• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting problems

diesel dave

have been driving a 1008 for over 2 years. lately it has been starting hard. cranks a long time before starting. has new batteries,fuel filter,fuel pump. still no luck. sometimes it's so bad ,it will not start. also have checked out glow plugs and system-working fine. appears the ip is nxt,but once runing it runs fine with no issues at all. any ideas?

diesel dave

where would the leaks be? filter? fuel lines? ip? if i open the air bleed on the filter and crank,would that not rule out problems between tank and filter? that is if it pumps fuel in a good stream?

Barrman

Look at the check valve on the top of the IP. If it is catching junk, the IP is coming apart and will need replacement.

If that is all good and it sounds like it probably will be. Put a clear hose on it to the rest of the metal return lines. Warm the truck up first, so you know it will start right up. Get it running and watch the line for air bubbles. There should be none. It is only giving you trouble on the first start of the day, right?

Then, the next time it won't start up, check out that line for bubbles. If you have trouble and never see bubbles, they you are back to glow plugs, starter speed and fuel supply instead of air leaks.

SSG ALBANESE

Dave, I used to have this problem as well. It seems the slower the starter cranks the longer it takes the truck to fire up (that is if all other systems are still working) even one bad GP can make starting that much harder.

I replaced the original starter with a new one. It is a 24V Gear reduction starter it is smaller and about half the weight of the original. I will tell you what, that bad boy throws out some power and it is durable.

The only issue I have had with it so far was the starting progressively got worse (in a short time frame) and then my starter relay (under the dash) failed. I had to replace the starter. I did the doghead modification and replaced my starter with the same kind and it is even better. The doghead relay is audible when you first start up but it works great.

How long has the truck been hard to start? Have you physically checked the glow plugs or just using the "wait" light as a reference?

SSG ALBANESE

Oh and another way to check your fuel for possible air restriction.... Keep your door open and look back at your exhaust pipe, see any smoke? black or white? Does it smell like burning diesel exhaust? (if you have a breeze to carry the smell to your nose haha)

diesel dave

Hey,thanks for the help. Now that you mention it,i did notice some black smoke the other day when it finnaly fired. Truck is not used every day so it's hard to say when it started. Would guess last 2 months it's gotten progressivly worse. I replaced the fuel pump thinking it may be weak. Started right up! But then started hard,and the nxt time not at all.
Yes i did check the glow plugs and yes i'm aware that even 1 bad can mean hard starting. What is the doghead conversion?

Barrman

Anything that has seals in it will eventually start to leak and the seals will break down. 5-8 years seems to be the life span of an average 6.2 IP seal. If the truck has been used daily with good fuel, the pump and seals might last lots longer. Sitting dry or with the new EPA mandated biofuel will shorten the life of everything.

Basically, if you don't know when the pump was replaced on your 6.2. Start saving the money to do so. Even if it isn't leaking, the difference will be amazing.

epitts

Rebuild kits

The new rebuild kit for our pumps have new type o-ring seals and will last longer. We replaced the throttle shaft o-rings in my pump. Pump was a newer P/N pump, but had the old brown o-rings on the shaft. New o-rings are green.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks