• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Without Hurting

oldshep

Within the next month or so, I will be starting my LDT-465-1d for the first time since last summer. It has been out of the truck so the rear main seal could be replaced.
I would like to know what I could do to minimize possible damage to bearings, etc..
Thanks for the help. This site has been a HUGE help for me.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give it a few 7-10 second cranks with the shut off cable pulled out. The O/P should come up a little faster after that.

Hunter2506

I'm certainly no expert on these multifuel ungines, but what WiillWagner said is pretty much SOP for any dry IC engine prior to start-up. I've built a lot of gasoline engines from 4 cylinder to big block and I either ran the oil pump with a hand drill or did the aforementioned. Since there is no distributor to pull for access to OP drive, that pretty much leaves option B.

I have to assume it is much more difficult to damage one of these big sixes than most of the automobile engines built in the last 30 years.

Jones

Pre-fill all filters (as best you can) so the pump doesn't have to drive oil the full length of the lube system.
Disconnect the oil feed line to the turbo and pour in two or three ounces of motor oil so that it's not dry during spin-up (don't worry about trying to fill it, the oil just runs through the bearings and back into the pan).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks