• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

State Safety Inspection (VA)

m0ng0

Recently purchased an 1994 M1081. Have successfully registered the vehicle, but due to the age, I was unable to register it an "antique". As such, I had to register the vehicle as a truck, which requires that I get a state (Virginia) safety inspection.

I'm curious about what issues I may be up against, given this vehicle was never really intended for general/public use (or at least was a primary requirement). My family is eager to get the truck on the road, so I'm looking for some sense of what may pop-up in the process and how to navigate those issues. TIA

603hellmutt

My 1081 had to go through NH state inspection, nothing out of the ordinary since I registered it as a passenger vehicle. Make sure that normal safety standards such as lights, horn, hazards, windows, brakes are in good condition. They didn't pull my brake drums just had me drive forward and step on the brakes. Best of luck they are great trucks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Brakes, all lights incl running, clearly visible leaks, bumpers, seatbelts , windshield and wipers, horn and anything else they feel like checking. If they are making you do a combination reg put a sign on the truck "not for hire".

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your tires are dryrotted and showing cracks then it may not pass. I replaced three on mine before I even bothered with inspection.

Also, your rear license plate must be illuminated. I tied mine in to the clearance lights.

Finally, no auto shop in my area that I tried would inspect it. I took it to a big truck shop and had no trouble.

m0ng0

Advice spot-on...grabbed the wife & did a quick check of all the lights. Again, having never owned a truck like this, I wasn't prepped for how an inspection on this vehicle might go; just a bit apprehensive.

You nailed it Sapphire...had purchased an inexpensive license plate frame from the local AutoZone, which of course is not illuminated, so took it hit for that and wipers; PASS on the promise to fix those 2 items. Out here in Front Royal, finding a shop to take this on, was just across the street; G&M Auto.

Was able to pick the little guy up from school, so all in all, it was a great day!

THX ALL!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Since you live in Virginia. You should know it is like any other safety inspection. No parts are gonna fall off, lights work, brakes work, wipers, horn, can go down the road without being a hazard. Very straight forward.

Like one other members mentioned, some small shops have no idea what they need to look at when it comes to a big truck. Just go to a big truck area and your done.

oops, just crossed your posting.
Grab a small led light and tie into the clearance lights. The led lights take a lot better abuse from bumps and such.

Front Royal? oh, neighbors, (over low water bridge, RT624, Millwood)

Last edited:

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The local auto shops in my area (Woodbridge) wouldn't touch it because the state law says you have to pull a front and rear wheel. Not to mention mine (M1079 Shop Van) is 12' tall and won't fit in their work bay. Alban Tire in Springfield has a truck mechanical shop, which is where I had mine inspected.

m0ng0

@Daybreak, great tip! Considering (at some point) going with LED lighting, but having just purchased the vehicle, I suspect there are plenty of "other things" that will take priority (as I identify them) ;) If you happen to have any recommendations for wiper suppliers...that would be most appreciated!

m0ng0

@Daybreak, great tip! Considering (at some point) going with LED lighting, but having just purchased the vehicle, I suspect there are plenty of "other things" that will take priority (as I identify them) ;) If you happen to have any recommendations for wiper suppliers...that would be most appreciated!
@Sapphire, had the same challenge here...my normal garage was concerned about garage bay clearance. Fortunately, it was nice enough they just performed the inspection outside. Didn't pull the wheels, so I'm thinking at some point (perhaps when I replace a tire or 2), I'll have the breaks inspected for peace of mind...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks