• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Statistics on Deuce ownership

King

I was told that they only made 5600 M35A3's from A2's, and of that 5600 only 900 came with the setup that I have. So my big question; is there any documentation about how many A2 or A3's have survived and are in the hands of civilians, or how many are still being used by the government? Can anyone deny or confirm these numbers? Down at the range they constantly bring in older M35's to use as target practice, just curious how many are left in tact that are stateside and functioning as designed! I would think that many years from now the price may be more driven by how unique and rare the MV, which may help with the justification to the wife why I need a matching 5 ton!

Flyingvan911

Tons and tons of M35A2's were sold from surplus. Some were bought by scrap yards, some by people who parted them out, some who drive them frequently and love them. I haven't seen a number for total surplussed and I doubt there will ever be an accurate number.

I do agree seeing the numbers would be interesting if it were possible to gather such statistics.

JohnnyBM931A2

Unique and rare M35's don't tend to bring in big money......
He's referring to future values. I for one think any former MV is going to bring a premium in the future. As the supply dries up the prices will go up as well. I'm sure mostly stock vehicles will be in higher demand than modified trucks. I also foresee a trend in the future, called "unbobbing," where new owners of trucks that were bobbed in the past try to return them to stock form.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's referring to future values. I for one think any former MV is going to bring a premium in the future. As the supply dries up the prices will go up as well. I'm sure mostly stock vehicles will be in higher demand than modified trucks. I also foresee a trend in the future, called "unbobbing," where new owners of trucks that were bobbed in the past try to return them to stock form.
If that were the case the G749 series of vehicles would be bringing in big money or the gasser G742's-they don't at all.

Katavic918

Hmm. I don't see an mv money pit as a wise investment. However in 50 years if my a2 isn't rusted into the ground (which it prob will be) it might be worth a pretty penny.

JohnnyBM931A2

If that were the case the G749 series of vehicles would be bringing in big money or the gasser G742's-they don't at all.
True. But that's nowadays. I'm talking 10 or 20 years in the future, where there will be no new internal combustion vehicles (all electric, etc.) and most vehicles will be automated. These monsters will be a novelty, and probably toys for those with $$$ in their pockets. People will buy them for their simplicity, and the nostalgia of driving something "manually."

Well that's my prediction anyway.

gunboy1656

Look at the cckw's they run 12k to 15k for pristine trucks. The big trucks like a deuce don't command as much as a jeep does because of the fact a jeep can be parked anywhere.

A deuce has a lot of haters blocking where you can and can't keep it. Not to mention the Era of the manual transmission is gone, people don't learn it anymore which means not many will be able to drive then is coming to an end.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd ask who you got that info from for verification.

Last edited:

M275Fan

True. But that's nowadays. I'm talking 10 or 20 years in the future, where there will be no new internal combustion vehicles (all electric, etc.) and most vehicles will be automated. These monsters will be a novelty, and probably toys for those with $$$ in their pockets. People will buy them for their simplicity, and the nostalgia of driving something "manually."

Well that's my prediction anyway.
Johnny, I'd like to know why you say that. Internal combustion engines aren't going away for many decades. So-called alternative fuels (natural gas, peanut oil, etc.) will most likely replace normal gas and diesel within the next century, but Industry relies on engines. Pure electric vehicles are problematic, expensive, and challenging to deal with. Maybe a century from now, but at the moment they are here to stay.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was told that they only made 5600 M35A3's from A2's, and of that 5600 only 900 came with the setup that I have. So my big question; is there any documentation about how many A2 or A3's have survived and are in the hands of civilians,
Not really. Probably in the bowels of the Pentagon (or in the bowels of one of their servers) exists the info about how many M44 series trucks were surplussed, how many were written off for internal use (i.e. target practice), etc. But none of us will ever see this info.

or how many are still being used by the government?
Again, they know but we won't - but I can say this: Very, very few. Like, I'll bet across the continental US, there are less than a thousand. The huge M44 surplus party is several years gone at this point. Now, depending upon how you define "in use"-this figure may vary. "In use" as in it's original purpose of hauling stuff around? Nearly nil. On ranges as targets? Probably quite a few.

Can anyone deny or confirm these numbers?
Again, none of us can or will, but the info exists, it's just not ever going to be assembled and released.

Down at the range they constantly bring in older M35's to use as target practice, just curious how many are left in tact that are stateside and functioning as designed!
See above.

I would think that many years from now the price may be more driven by how unique and rare the MV, which may help with the justification to the wife why I need a matching 5 ton!
This is a phenomenally difficult thing to predict: What classic vehicle will be collectible. Like HendrsonJ said, it's impossible to predict: Witness the "relatively" low value of the G749 series Deuces (M135/M211). By all means, these vehicles should be pretty valuable- they're very well built (arguably better than the M44 series), they're automatics, they ride good, they're the first of the "modern" post-war M-series 6x6, etc. But their values are much lower than the later (and infinitely more common) M44 deuces. Probably more than anything else, people prefer the diesel engine and more "butch" looks of the M44 series.

I doubt anyone in 1970 thought Hemi 'Cuda's would be million dollar vehicles. Judging by their bargain base prices in the 1970's, it took a long time for anyone to realize or decide they were so special.

Guessing what will happen 20 years from now involves more than just what people might want. What if diesel is $20 a gallon? What if a set of good 20" tires are $5K?

Although I am more likely to agree with your prediction here regarding electric and automated vehicles (see below response to another poster), I'll defer to my above statement about what becomes collectible is nearly impossible to predict.

Look at the cckw's they run 12k to 15k for pristine trucks. The big trucks like a deuce don't command as much as a jeep does because of the fact a jeep can be parked anywhere.

A deuce has a lot of haters blocking where you can and can't keep it. Not to mention the Era of the manual transmission is gone, people don't learn it anymore which means not many will be able to drive then is coming to an end.
This is a huge part of the MV hobby-and I think it's part of the reason Mules bring so much money. Everything beyond Jeep/Mule/M37 is enormous. Even a HMMWV is huge. Most people just dont' have the space.

The only reason CCKW's even bring this kind of money is the WWII aspect of them.

Johnny, I'd like to know why you say that. Internal combustion engines aren't going away for many decades. So-called alternative fuels (natural gas, peanut oil, etc.) will most likely replace normal gas and diesel within the next century, but Industry relies on engines. Pure electric vehicles are problematic, expensive, and challenging to deal with. Maybe a century from now, but at the moment they are here to stay.
You're probably right. But I'll put myself out there on a ledge and add this:

Right now, electric cars aren't as practical because of battery limits. You can bet that the instant that battery technology makes an enormous leaps and batteries will take you much further and charge more quickly, the shift from internal combustion to electrical will be so fast, it will make the internet revolution look quaint.

Passenger cars will be first. Then light trucks (<3500), then heavy trucks (<6500), then Class 6/8 stuff. Who knows when things like locomotives and ships will convert, probably 100 years or something, I agree. The technological gap is currently just enormous.

I want everybody to think about how fast and ubiquitous the internet came about: I remember the first time I "saw" the internet-I think it was like 1995ish and a co-worker "had the internet" and we went to see it and it was in it's infancy and seemed like CB radio for the 1990's. it was impossible (for me at least) to predict how fast it would change our lives. The change was so swift and now, after 20 years of internet access, we take things like googling the TM on our phone, downloading it and reading it while we're on the side of the road trying to fix something.

And autonomous vehicles are the same way. And the public (myself included) will flock to them the same way we flocked to the internet.

Because......................

I live in a reasonably rural area and so do many of you. I can pull out of my neighborhood and hit virtually no traffic and even the "big" city I live right outside of (Athens, Ga) has manageable traffic.

But a few times a month, I have to go to Atlanta. Yesterday, I had to go from my town to Marietta and be in Marietta at 9am.

It's a 65 mile trip that I've made in 50 minutes in the middle of the day. https://goo.gl/maps/SgX757CktDp

But in the morning traffic it took me 2.5 hours. Just sitting in traffic- can't read, surf the internet, bored as ****. If I could have sat in my car and let it do the driving, I could have prepared for my meeting and on the way back, I could have started working on my proposal versus having to do it at home.

The amount of money being invested in these technologies are enormous. It's only a matter of time.

And the point of all that is:

We really don't know what the roadways will look like in the future. A conversion to automomous vehicles is so huge and expensive that it can't happen overnight, which means the technology has to co-exist within the framework of the current system. So it isn't lie they're gonna' outlaw anything. I suspect it'll be like dumbphones or VCR's-it'll just get to the point, long after anyone still wanted one, that you won't be able to get one. In 2015 we will allow 1940 Packards and Jeeps to go anywhere. So I don't think it's like at some point they're gonna' disallow older stuff like ours. I have zero concerns about that.

But my point is that if society wholeheartedly accepts electric and/or autonomous vehicles, there simply may not be enough people who want this stuff (vintage mv's or vintage cars in general) to make them raise in price.

At one point, the backbone of the antique car hobby was stuff like Ford Model T's and such. And they commanded high vehicles-and as the people who wanted them literally died of old age, their values dropped and they were replace with musclecars as the backbone of the car hobby. I keep waiting for their values to drop, but if it happens, it's gonna' require a lot more baby boomers exiting the hobby.......................

I also think in general, the US is sort of losing it's "love affair" with the automobile, for a ton of different reasons, and with that comes big changes to the car hobbies (which I consider the MV hobby to be a part of).

In short: Any kind of a guess, hope, anything about what becomes a collectible is simply too difficult to predict. When gas was $4 a gallon 10 years ago, did any of you expect it to be less than $2 10 years later?

rustystud

Actually things are gonna change faster then you think. My best friend is an engineer for a new automobile company here in the NW. They eliminated the batteries and are going with quick charge-slow discharge capacitors to run the electric motors. Both rear wheels have a motor. It also has regen charging on braking. Trust me when I say the automobile industry is in for some serious changes soon. Just in my lifetime the change is remarkable. I used to do tune-ups by changing the points and condenser and setting the "dwell" and manually set the distributor. Now no one even remembers points and condensers. Most cars and trucks had manual transmissions, now automatics are self learning (adaptive shifts) and the number of gears are so many you no longer even feel the shifts. That's not even counting the "variable" shifting (infinite) transmissions. Engine technology has come so far that the engines can shut-off individual cylinders for mileage or malfunction reasons. Who would have thought about that back when I first started working as a mechanic? What about self applying brakes on the new 2016 cars ? No, things are changing at an exponential rate now and there is no way to put the Genie back into the bottle. Industry runs on "electricity" not gas or diesel engines and that is what will replace all internal combustion engines in the future. This is another reason to keep our "multifuel" engines as there will not be any "diesel" to run them on in the future. Hopefully I will be gone before then but my son will see it happen.
I forgot to add, at the transit agency I work at the base supervisor and I where talking about the future of transit. He told me that within the next 10 years all diesel busses will be phased out and replaced with all electric units. The bus "lay-over" stations will all have battery charging stations. The first all electric busses are already here ( no trolley wires) . We have 3 we are testing right now. So the future is here.

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

I can certainly understand the OP's desire to know the numbers but, for me, I enjoy my Deuce regardless. I don't particularly care how others value it, or how many like it there are. I will likely have it till I die. If its worth a zillion dollars or zero. Tons of people have used motor oil that they have to dispose of. So my "recycling" is somewhat a good thing if you don't count the carbon footprint deal. Short of sending it back down a hole in the ground where it originally came from is another one of those "genie out of the bottle deals".

To the original posters question, it seems obvious that if some statistics on private ownership exist, the most reliable source of information existing for us may be thru the county clerks. If perhaps we could petition them thru freedom of information act, you might be able to develop a data base. However,that leverage may only exist for US Gov files. You could try that leverage against the pentagon, But once that information is out there it could be a double edge sword. Bureaucrats and NIMBY's love to use statistics to enact new legislation. At any rate:-D, it could take decades and cost hundreds of million of dollars and thousands of lives.

Jeepsinker

Yeah, I would feel much better not knowing the information in question, while at the same time not having to worry about bureaucrats and politicians thinking they need to make new laws pertaining to my vehicles and their use.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The times are a changing I bought a jeep in the crate in 1965 for 50.00 keep it about a year and a half sold it for 150.00 it would not run over about 45 mph not fast for a young guy at the time . Wished I still ad it . But like I tell ever body its what the market will bear I have saw M35 that looked like crap go for over 8000 and ones that looked like new go for 3000 you just never know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks