• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Stealth" Muffler for a Deuce?

houdel

I have a LDT465 multifuel with a "C" turbo in my Deuce. Does anyone have (or have an idea how to install) a "Stealth" Muffler on a Deuce? I'm looking for something which would not change the outward appearance of the deuce (no stack mounted mufflers please).

I love my Deuce and the "C" turbo whine, but 90-100 dBa in the cab is just too loud for me, my hearing is already starting to go but I don't want to wear ear muffs when I go for a drive. I've already installed a Car Chemistry Collector Insert inside my exhaust stack, but it only reduced the exhaust sound by about 5 dBa. I'd like something which would give me a 15-20 dBa reduction.

I drove N/A M35s in the service and it was easy to carry on a conversation in the cab without shouting into Soldier #2s ear and vice versa. I've thought of installing a N/A muffler between the battery box and frame rail as the N/A Deuces originally had. The N/A mufflers are 3" inlet and 2-3/4 outlet as best I can recall, but it would take some serious plumbing to get a line from my turbo exhaust to the muffler inlet and then from the muffler outlet to the J pipe.

Anyone have any good thoughts or ideas? How much back pressure would the N/A muffler create in the exhaust? How much would the N/A muffler cut down the turbo whine? I'd still like to be able to hear my turbo whistle.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. TIA, Lee

Here is how this guy did it. It is behind the battery box just like the N/A type of Deuce.
Uses a front inlet with rear/side outlet.
J-Pipe is cut and routed straight down into the front of the muffler. The outpipe exits inward toward the driveshaft has a 90 elbow and routes around the muffler in front of the battery box and up the hole in the fender in normal configuration.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe it or not but before I converted my truck to the vertical exhaust (deep water fording kit...) I couldn't hear the exhaust at all! Obviously everything else is noisy enough at higher speeds, but at least I could distinguish engine noise, turbo, fan, gearbox, tires, wind... and still have some kind of conversation! :)
The secret was a hidden "poor mans do-it-yourself" straight trough glass-pack, 35" long 10" dia., 3 ½” inlet/outlet, installed between the RH frame rail and 1st rear drive shaft. From there exhaust was directed downwards via a short elbow. To know how and if it would affect power I removed it once: no noticeable difference... better say no power, with or without muffler...! :?

Just for the looks (and some nostalgia?) you could leave the original stack where it is and even install some kind of 2way valve for hardcore deuce fans!

Seriously I'm considering some kind of combination for my next project, don't want to accelerate my loss of hearing! Let it happen N/A (Naturally Affected)! :)

Gerhard

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am getting close to installing a large NAPA stack muffler and D turbo (inspired from a posts I saw here and cranetrucks MVM article).Anything used with a turbo needs to flow freely as any [substantial] restriction will reduce turbine speed. The farther from the engine the colder he EGT ,which contracts as it cools, so dia. slightly less critical farther out.

You might be able to 'conceal' a stack muffler behind some expanded steel(like the factory heat shield).

Not made the mod yet but I was under the impression that a lot of the whisle comes thru the turbo housing so it may seem more noticable with muffler. JimK

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny: Man...serious stereo system in a deuce... totally changes the effect! rofl

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Road trips get hard to take after a while. Mine tows a trailer so engine screams while 30-40MPH extend driving time. Gerhard idea offers the best of both worlds, a bypass.

The straight thru glasspac might be a middle of the road option, though I think my fat NAPA piece is straight thru too.The Stolly has a pair of NAPA mufflers,not straight thru,and sounds very nice.

Perhaps a quick change set up where the muffler can be swapped out with a straight pipe ?JimK

maxim

I know this has been talked about before. I have used a external muffler when I go on long runs just to knock down the noise fatigue. The muffler goes on a off in a couple of minutes and the straight stack can be installed with no modifications. I just needed to weld a small circular flange on it. Yes the muffler is I guess, ugly, but very effective in knocking down the exhaust noise. But in my experience, the actual engine noise and transmission, and turbo still was so loud I still wore muffs when running at 50 mph. I am quite concerned about noise protection as deafness runs in my family. I will put up with a little ugliness if the situation requires it and most people don't even comment on it. The turbo whistle really is pronounced with the exhaust on.

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
My GTO w/ Flowmasters.They are 16ga steel boxes w/ V plates that focus the sound waves at various angles to cancel out noise. These have really unique sound.JimK

rdixiemiller

I have a stack muffler on my truck, really makes it better on long trips. I have thought about putting the muffler back under the frame and routing the exhaust out the back somewhere. I would then put an exhaust cutout in so I could use the stack for parades and such. I like the sound of the straight pipe with the D turbo, but it is really hard on the ears on a trip. My 12 yr old daughter travels with me a lot, and she wears headphones as it is.

Jones

www.patriotexhaust.com (in their online muffler catalog, pg. #21) shows inserts that might be a consideration. Standard inserts are fiberglass cloth wrapped and they also have an "auger" insert without the glass wrap. 11 or 12 inches long and can be stacked in multiples for more or less sound control. Something to consider.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The XM757 8x8 got a muffler while in service in Europe, not for consideration of the driver/codriver but to reduce noise pollution....
I'm looking for pictures to confirm this claim by an ex-driver.
I use earplugs or the VIC-1 intercom headset for hearing protection on long trips. Love the throaty sound of the "D" and wouldn't want to let a muffler interfere.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
My first duece had the old style exhaust that exited between the passenger side duals. It was very quiet even though it did not have a muffler. I have heard that wa the exhaust for the LDT-427 motor but mine had been update to the 465, it was funny in traffic the exhaust was pointed right into the open windows of cars next to me, if it was a poo butt gangster, they got the full throttle treatment.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD Coyote, how about a part # for that muffler? I like that idea.

OD_Coyote

doghead - The P/N on the invoice is GP18 and the description is "18" Resonator"
If your supplier cannot find it unde that P/N let me know and I will call the place I bought mine from to see if there is a different P/N.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks