• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steam Cleaning Engine compartment

Abbylind

I know several CUCVs have "DO NOT STEAM CLEAN ENGINE" stenciled inside the engine compartment. I figured it was for most of the 19 YOA GIs dont know any better and would hose the relays, alternators, and intake. But is there another reason why?
Members feelings, experiences cleaning the engine compartment?

TIA

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always degrease my CUCVs when I buy one. Gunk, my pressure washer (or a car wash) and I let it rip...

Never an issue (so far... :p).

chevyCUCV

Mine says not to wash with water or something

I washed mine before with the hose, Let it dry out for a few hours and then started it. Not sure if there would have been issues if i tried before.

Make sure there are no holes in you air intake. Have noticed lots of people have larger holes around the studs.

True Knight

Well, I have never really cleaned off my engine in my 1028, but it needs to be done since everything is mud brown...from the mud. However, I have cleaned probably close to 100 different engines (rough estimate), and as long as you keep the water out of the intake, distributor (CUCV's don't have this issue), and the alternator then everything is good. Don't douse the alternators though, cause they will work for a little while, then no more.

The shop I worked at was near a quarter car wash, so we would drive the vehicle there and give the engine a good spray with simple green, let it sit for a minute and then blast it off with the pressure washer. Keeping water away from the before mentioned critical areas of course. No reason a CUCV should be any different.

Tanner

What you DO have to watch out for is blasting anything electrical with a high-pressure power washer that destroys any plastic connectors - I usually never clean under the hood of any vehicle that has old, brittle wiring or connectors... too much opportunity for something to get FUBAR'd... I use a garden hose connected to my house water heater drain, about 60psi of pressure, and use a citrus-based degreaser to clean with -

Frank Serpico

What you DO have to watch out for is blasting anything electrical with a high-pressure power washer that destroys any plastic connectors - I usually never clean under the hood of any vehicle that has old, brittle wiring or connectors... too much opportunity for something to get FUBAR'd... I use a garden hose connected to my house water heater drain, about 60psi of pressure, and use a citrus-based degreaser to clean with -
EXCELLENT IDEA! When you use the water heater water, is it heated?

panama

Just did a car wash pressure wash of my M1009 engine/engine bay last week. Left the engine running and took care not to direct spray the air cleaner or alternators. Worked like a champ and cleaned up nice.

idM1028

I've cleaned mine a few times. Whenever I do it, I grab a couple plastic shopping bags and some duct tape to wrap up the alternators. Obviously I shut the engine off. Spray it down with some engine bay cleaner and clean it out with a high pressure hose.

combatmech

I use a garden sprayer with some soap, let it sit a while, then rinse with a hose. I'm paranoid about causing any kind of electrical issues as well. I've only cleaned my engine compartment once....

im surprised most of the cucvs i have seen buried in the water and mud havent just shut down after gettin wet these trucks are tougher than we give them credit for im up for washing my engine bay i wonder if i could spray electrical cleaner in the can to wash off my alt as they are covered in mud carolina mud is tough it leaves stains hahah i can now see why lift kits are used so mud doesnt get up in the engine bay :beer:

True Knight

Well, don't spray anything that is flammable near, on or in the alternators while the vehicle is running. It WILL ignite and start a fire. I was cleaning off a power steering pump to find a leak when I accidentally got some of the cleaner in the alternator and poof- instant flaming Lexus. Ha ha. I was able put it out with the water hose within a few seconds and no damage done. Lesson learned.

wayne pick

I use that Awesome degreaser my girlfriend gets at the dollar store and mix it 50/50 with Dawn dish detergent. I take the truck for a run to get it hot, lightly fog the engine with water and apply this mixture, wait 15min and lightly hose off. I stay away from the alternators with any direct spray and won't start up untill everything is dry. I was a little nervous the first time. I just don't drown the engine with water, works great.

Well i got my m1008 somewhat clean the freakin mud was every where on the underside of the hood on the air cleaner it even covered the fire wall i sprayed everything down while running which seemed to do pretty good the fan dried it while i was spraying it down i think i might have gottin my Number 2 alt wet then again the belt might be loose NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO IN A MUD HOLE WITH OUT MAKING SURE MUD CAN NOT GET Up IN THE ENGINE BAY LOL i was very pissed to say the least i will take care of it tommrow weather permitting :beer: Thanks for the advice Clifford will be clean

cucv1833

Ive done it once. I wraped the alternaters with plastic bags and sprayed degreaser all over let it sit for 15-20 min. Then lightly hit it with a weak electric pressure sprayer in certain area. Mostly the inner fender wells and crossmembers valve covers. Not the firewall or around the aircleaner so much. I then wiped the hoses down with rags.

Let it dry out for an hr or so before starting.

Lol time to kill the grass gotta get the steering box and powersteering pump somewhat clean before i work on it to give fair warning 409 doesnt do that great of job on Carolina Mud and it stinks lol :mrgreen:when it gets hot

SouthernSteel i know what your talking about ive lived in both carolinas and we love our mud holes and when i was in NC i loved playing in the snow and us good ole boys with the big tires would bring log chains to pull folks out of ditches thats what us southern boys do.But i allways try to keep my under hood looking like new so now after reading what yall do i know what to do to the m1028.:drool:

Keith_J

Disconnect the batteries and remove. Cover alternators, injection pump, brake master cylinder and booster and all electrical stuff with aluminum foil (easier to manipulate than plastic wrap), then loosen the heavy stuff with paint thinner (not lacquer thinner, acetone or reducer but ordinary mineral spirits). Then spritz with ZEP orange cleaner followed by a rinse.

Pressure washing can compromise seals and force water into places it shouldn't be.

m816

High pressure water from a steam cleaner or pressure washer will bend the fins on radiators real fast. I think there is more damage done right there than to the alernators. After all they are supposed tobe waterproof. Screw up the air flow through the radiator can cause it to over heat and then you will have real problems:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks