• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stearing problem in M54 Bobed 5 Ton

sidewinder

I have been working on a 5 ton M54a2 that has been Boobed with a shortened bed , chassis and single rear. I have been testing out my work and took a ride. I am using XZL tires 16 R 20 with rims that have several inches offset. I found that it is very difficult to steer straight. The 5 ton has power steering as designed .The steering wheel takes about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to make a steering correction. I suspect the tire rods or front end problem. I did not notice this as bad when I used stock tires and drove it a 100 miles when I bought it. I checked toe in/out and distance front side and back seems to be even using just a tape measure. At this point I am entertaining ideas where to start first. Tire pressure on XZL tires are 60psi.

Could larger tires and offset rims make a vehicle sensitive to steering?
Whatz say guys which direction to go first? Suggestions.

dirtyfingernails

When I went to 1100 XLs on my bobbed deuce, I had BAD wander and I had to fight to keep the truck straight. Turned out that one tire/wheel was way out of balance. When I put that tire on the rear, the problem went away. Just my experience, not sure this helps you or not.

beaubeau

I would double check the measurements of the single rear axel. Be sure it runs Strait. Does the steering wheel return to center? Does it pull to one side or the other?Does it get worst under accelorating?If there is" Play", in the steering box, I believe it can be adjusted at the Box. Good Luck,Phil

sidewinder

Re: RE: Stearing problem in M54 Bobed 5 Ton

dirtyfingernails said:
When I went to 1100 XLs on my bobbed deuce, I had BAD wander and I had to fight to keep the truck straight. Turned out that one tire/wheel was way out of balance. When I put that tire on the rear, the problem went away. Just my experience, not sure this helps you or not.
I have the wander problem but I have not taken the speed above 35 mph because I dont trust it yet. Balance could be something I will look into
Rob ... _._

sidewinder

Re: RE: Stearing problem in M54 Bobed 5 Ton

beaubeau said:
I would double check the measurements of the single rear axel. Be sure it runs Strait. Does the steering wheel return to center? Does it pull to one side or the other?Does it get worst under accelorating?If there is" Play", in the steering box, I believe it can be adjusted at the Box. Good Luck,Phil
I will check placement of rear end. It does pull to right when I break but that is a break problem I have to work on. Steering wheel returns to center. Problem or wonder is less under acceleration.
Rob ... _._

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: Stearing problem in M54 Bobed 5 Ton

There could be a different spect for front end alignment for Radials and or larger tires. I believe my TT was 1/8 in Toe in with radials. not sure with front wheel drive, or in UR case, 4x4. Sounds like U may have to experiment with it for a while. Good luck, and keep us Posted. Phil

sidewinder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Stearing problem in M54 Bobed 5 Ton

beaubeau said:
There could be a different spect for front end alignment for Radials and or larger tires. I believe my TT was 1/8 in Toe in with radials. not sure with front wheel drive, or in UR case, 4x4. Sounds like U may have to experiment with it for a while. Good luck, and keep us Posted. Phil
When you say 1/8 I assume the front towed in 1/8" more than rear?

houdel

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Stearing problem in M54 Bobed 5 Ton

First, check for worn tie rod ends or worn drag link ends. If all checks our OK, then start working on toe in. With radials you probably need positive toe in. I'd suggest starting at + 1/4" toe in and work upwards from there until you are satisfied.

HeadWizard

My Bobbed Deuce wanders on roads with any uneven pavement. I'm running 16.00-20 XL's.

I just haven't gotten around to putting more toe-in in it, but that's most likely your problem.

I've been to 65 mph on the highway without much issue. (white knuckled and rear cheeks squeezed tight though).

sidewinder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Stearing problem in M54 Bobed 5 Ton

houdel said:
First, check for worn tie rod ends or worn drag link ends. If all checks our OK, then start working on toe in. With radials you probably need positive toe in. I'd suggest starting at + 1/4" toe in and work upwards from there until you are satisfied.
Does anyone know how much toe in that would produce tire wear excessively?
I will try the toe in it is the easiest to fix unless I find worn parts that need replacement.
Rob ... _._

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks