• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steel soldier rally videos

Diecorpse

This may be a dumb suggestion but. . .
I love watching the videos posted on youtube from steelsoldiers members. Watching them inspired me even more to buy my duece. Is there anyway a link or a forum for videos from the rallies and ect about their mv? I noticed they're scatted on youtube but I think it provide a lot of benefits. Im sure it would be a lot of work to get a program with the site to play attached videos and more things to filter. I was just wondering so I figure I would ask. Thanks for you time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Clinto has taken the time to collect all of the posted pics from the GA Rallys and put them in one album. Might have done videos too.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think Clinto has taken the time to collect all of the posted pics from the GA Rallys and put them in one album. Might have done videos too.
I did this for 2011 and 2012, posts can be found here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...media-thread&p=1245180&viewfull=1#post1245180

and here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...timedia-thread&p=996848&viewfull=1#post996848

Each of those posts has the links for all the videos of each year's rally and a link to all the images from that years rally on a photobucket album.

I do not know how to capture youtube videos, I've tried it before and the free software I used never worked right. If someone can help me with this and some free video editing software, I'll compile all the SSGR videos into one video.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The site once had a video library.

I think we lost that in one of the site upgrades.

215Dave

I can't get enough videos! I have tried YouTube searches. Ya have to sift through a lot of "blah" to find the good stuff. An official Steel Soldiers Channel would be great. To "stay on target" and keep content/ subject matter on track, maybe take SS Members submissions of vids from Official Rallies, and then have them mildly screened prior to uploading by a few Mods ( whoever is entrusted with the Official Channel). Just thinking out loud...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mildly screened? I know there are pics and videos we would not allow on the site that might be okay on YouTube. Who would moderate the channel? Would comments be allowed? SS is trademarked so it would have to be approved.

Much like any website if the poster of the video (or thread on SS) puts garbage in the keywords or title then your search will not be fruitful.

215Dave

My thinking was that in keeping with the Steel Soldiers values/ code of conduct etc, the videos would naturally be held to the same standards. Good clean MV fun. All our admins and mods know the rules well enough, so I don't see how it's too much harder to watch cool vids and filter out the ones that had a bit much " potty mouth" or any other content that the SS website doesnt allow. I'm all for upholding the good name that Steel Soldiers has built and stands for. And there is no reason that a YouTube Channel couldn't continue that as well. I'm sure Disney and Nickelodeon have YouTube Channels and the content uploaded is in keeping with their values/ image and so on.

LIke anything else branded, I know that the idea would go through the think tank and all concerns would be addressed before approval is given. As far as who mods the channel, I'd assume the same or close to same process would be applied for promoting/ hiring the moderators ( just with more background/ know-how with the digital video world than web page management).

And as for "tagging" the videos, the first thought that comes to mind is use the obvious tags that will steer our members there: Steel Soldiers, - - Rally, M35A2, M35A3, M923, so on.... Whatever applies to the video.

Again, just keeping the juices flowing.. Thinking out loud

Heath_h49008

I search almost daily for the terms "M35A2" and "Deuce and a half".... One clearinghouse sticky might be better than an actual YouTube account page. Two lists... "how-to" vids, and "look at the big truck, aren't I cool" vids...

Maybe add a "wall of shame" for the prepper types who have no idea what they are talking about.

That way, if someone finds a good vid with horrible search labels, we can directly link it. Or, for content made by SS members, we can intentionally keep the terms screwy and avoid the comment insanity from random idiots.

I like the idea.

215Dave

swbradley1
"Mildly screened? I know there are pics and videos we would not allow on the site that might be okay on YouTube. Who would moderate the channel? Would comments be allowed? SS is trademarked so it would have to be approved.

Much like any website if the poster of the video (or thread on SS) puts garbage in the keywords or title then your search will not be fruitful."

I forgot to comment on your comment about commenting...:D

Thats the one thing I don't see being able to control. You either disable commenting or you just let it ride. I'd like to see SS Members and others that just enjoyed your video be able to talk about it. But.... There always will be the guy that has an agenda to push, and leaves spam all over the comment section or "Negative Nancy" hating on all your videos. Free Speech....sometimes you take to bad with good. But that would be for the Steel Soldier Congress to decide.

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited:

215Dave

I search almost daily for the terms "M35A2" and "Deuce and a half".... One clearinghouse sticky might be better than an actual YouTube account page. Two lists... "how-to" vids, and "look at the big truck, aren't I cool" vids...

Maybe add a "wall of shame" for the prepper types who have no idea what they are talking about.

That way, if someone finds a good vid with horrible search labels, we can directly link it. Or, for content made by SS members, we can intentionally keep the terms screwy and avoid the comment insanity from random idiots.

I like the idea.
I do the same search as well. I use M35A2 and deuce, etc.... The same tired vids always come up. I can close my eyes and still see the same exact list of search results. If I could subscribe to a Steel Soldiers Channel, knowing once a week or month or whatever a fresh batch of fun vids show casing members rides or Rally footage, IM ALL OVER IT! Where do I sign up!

Last edited:

Diecorpse

I apologize to the mods if this causes an overload of work, but I think if a video forum was to be created, instead of uploading the video and after its been viewed by other members, could they submit the video and only the mods would see it, to approve it, then post it in the forum? I know comments would be difficult to keep control of, but assuming most members know the rules and what the expectations are, I believe it wouldn't be as bad as you might think. How much better can it get? Go to your favorite site, chat about vehicles that you love, and watch videos of the sites main topic. I think it would also help members who are checking classifieds for a part or truck, a pic is good, but a video would be wonderful. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just a suggestion.

Diecorpse

Also, couldn't there be a program to play video thats a part of this website and not youtube? I don't even read the comments on there, half the time it's people arguing over nothing. From the responses I seen on this site, I don't think it would ever go that far. SS members seem to be very respectful vs other site forums I have visited.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a great idea clear up until you think about what the moderators get tasked with. I don't mind watching the occasional video but speaking for myself I don't have the time to review them all. I rarely watch the ones that are embedded now.

Heath_h49008

True... alright guys... we can do it here to save space, but I think we should make 2 new threads.

#1 How-to videos... MV related
#2 Awesome MV video
#3 Wall of shame
#4 Vendor?

3-4 little threads... no increase in Moderator workload over any other 4 threads. Just sticky them for easy access.

What do you guys think? Just go through the "Favorites" list of your YouTube accounts and start posting the links as soon as we get the OK from the bosses?

215Dave

True... alright guys... we can do it here to save space, but I think we should make 2 new threads.

#1 How-to videos... MV related
#2 Awesome MV video
#3 Wall of shame
#4 Vendor?

3-4 little threads... no increase in Moderator workload over any other 4 threads. Just sticky them for easy access.

What do you guys think? Just go through the "Favorites" list of your YouTube accounts and start posting the links as soon as we get the OK from the bosses?
Am I following this right? You're saying grab the links to some of our favorite Tube videos so they can be reposted here permanently in a new thread(s) dedicated to Movies/Videos? And just like the Classifieds, it will start with the OP to put his/ her videos in the correct thread of the above choices? Sorry, I'm suffering from heat exhaustion. Mega humid today as well. Been sanding away on my truck, pushing for July 4th finish date :shock:

215Dave

One question though....
Is it easier (and more economical) to have the videos hosted on SS than YouTube? Meaning, server hosting/ space and bandwidth and all? Rather than letting YouTube host it, freeing up space on our server...
Do I make sense or am I am out of my league? Tryna learn here.