• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers migration 12/9/19

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
...and it appears most of it has sadly been lost. As an example, recently member Oerthedge21 did us the favor of posting a thread, keeping us up to date on replacing the pistons and other engine work on his truck https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/engine-knocking-lds-456.190023/page-14#post-2247146. I thanked pretty much every post he made in that thread, as I try to do with every post of educational value that I read. Now the guy has "zero" thumbs up and "zero" trophies. Appears some of us who've made good contributions are starting at "zero". Some folks may not care if their post is appreciated or not, but I was very glad to have the opportunity to tell them that I, personally, appreciated what they'd provided, by merely hitting the thanks icon. IMO the "Thanks" system was something that put this site head and shoulders above other forums. I've always been outwardly grateful for this site, and to those who contribute to keeping it going. I understand a current standard of technology needs to be maintained, and there will always be complaints when there's change, but from this members perspective, the thumbs and trophies change absolutely sucks compared to the previous, more personal, more understandable and objective "Thanks" system.
I will look deeper into it. There's been 3 attempts to get the thanks transferred to the like system.

Also a few points for clarification.
The trophy and like system are two different things.
The trophy system is a out of the box functionality of the xenforo system.
The like system is a 3rd party add on.
The old thanks system was a 3rd party add on as well.

A good analogy for it would be that we had a Kaiser m35 that had a pto winch. We traded to a AM general m35 with a electric winch. Both are able to do similar things, but are different. And vastly different in some aspects.

If the trophy system is a issue, it can be disabled.

I understand the concern of the thanks missing, and I don't like that it's "missing". But it will be a lower priority to resolve at the current time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Button for "Mark all post read" is more or less a big orange blob. The center text color is to close to the button color.

Forum sections do not have a method to minimize. Looks like a little button to the far right of each forum section is just a dot. No functions.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Howdy,
Button for "Mark all post read" is more or less a big orange blob. The center text color is to close to the button color.

Forum sections do not have a method to minimize. Looks like a little button to the far right of each forum section is just a dot. No functions.
Not sure what you mean on mark all post read button. Displays fine here. Unless perhaps you've got a very low resolution display?

Correct, the "buttons" on the sides for the forum titles are just that, buttons for aesthetics, no function. That functionality doesn't exist here.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Patracy
Ok, it's going to take some time for the thanks/like thing to work out. There's a script in place now to rebuild them. But there's not a master rebuild function to make it happen all at one time. What will happen going forward is any time someone likes a post, if there previously was a thank in the thread, it will update them in the post.

CMPPhil

Hi

Still having a problem reading the new format comfortably, on tablet, it is something about the text size, white text on dark backgound. Don't seem to have the same visual problem reading other forums that I think are on the same software like HMVF. I can read this site fine on computer but on tablet not so easy.

Is anybody else having this problem? Have you found the fix?

On general comments I miss seeing where people are from under the avitar. It is helpful to see this info when some is asking a question or looking for parts. Also seeing where people are from is important in building a sense of community in our MV hobby.

Thanks for all the hard work on the forum.

Cheers Phil

SSGHillbilly

I really thought some of the custom military icons we use to have were pretty cool, any way of having them back? Do we still have a ranking? I thought that was cool too. This was my first time back on here in a while, I was surprised to see the change. Other than that it may be nice to navigate. Do we have a memorial page?

rtadams89

A few security suggestions/issues:
  • Redirect HTTP to HTTPS and even better set HSTS headers.
  • Set X-XSS-Protection headers to prevent framing.
  • The forum is setting a anti-CSRF cookie (xf_csrf), but not applying the SameSIte or httpOnly directive, which may defeat the purpose of the cookie. Not sure if this is even controllable by the admins.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOTIFICATION OPTIONS

Under 'Thread Tools' on the old site we had an option of being notified by .......control panel.........instant notification by email....etc.

Is that option here somewhere? I'm looking! It seems the new posts go directly to email notification default.

If post info goes directly to an email addy would it be hilarious if I changed the email in my profile to AMGeneral's email address?
I'm kidding, I'd forward all the posts to Quebec's Minister of Transportation.

Other than potential email overload my M135 sure looks good with a sassy new website wrapped around her.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I know it was fixed for another member but I'd like to see where folks are from under their avitar, is that a feature I have to select if so where would I find it? Also in my feedback scores the same feedback shows up 3 and 4 times as duplicates for many of them

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I really thought some of the custom military icons we use to have were pretty cool, any way of having them back? Do we still have a ranking? I thought that was cool too. This was my first time back on here in a while, I was surprised to see the change. Other than that it may be nice to navigate. Do we have a memorial page?
A memorial page/forum would be a good addition. I'll see about adding that once the functional issues are resolved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks