• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2022 - December VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1. Weldman

2. flyfishtrailer

3. SgtMajHarper

4. glcaines

5. thmpr

6. cantwait

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quoting what I had previously posted in the nomination thread for this month's MV "contest".....

What a diverse motor pool from which to pick this month!

Like presents under the Christmas Tree! Which one will be the favorite???​

With that being repeated....
I'm thinking the candidates will NEED to tell us some really good stories about each of these fine specimens in order for any of us to make our difficult ballot choices.

LET THE CAMPAIGNING BEGIN!!!

YA-HOO!

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Not a good story more of cold hard facts.
My rig was bought by my wife for me out of necessity not cause we wanted to look cool, but cause out here you aren't getting a pickup truck up here with any loads 8 to 9 months a year whether it be snow or clay. Also I'm retired and the wife still works, so if the wife gets stuck in a snow bank we need a rig that will get to her and get her out, no tow truck is coming to rescue and no cell phones work. I own a semi with a sleeper and within two years of being out here I have fiberglassed the hood 3 times, rebuilt the battery box, and snapped torque springs cause of how rough the road is. Also I use it to recover the neighbors who think their 4 x 4 truck can go anywhere or can't get out. It has morphed to plowing the road now since the county doesn't.
Won't be parading around any parades, going to be used for what it was built for.
Though funny part is I get people that tell me their wife's wouldn't let them own one and in rebuke I tell them my wife bought me this one.

thmpr

Campaign ... RA! RA! RA! :)

Here is a link to more info and pictures on the 1954 M152 camper's five year build.
The amount of time in research, design, CAD drafting, custom fabrication and graphics on this truck is inane.
Built to escape the hot Arizona summers and reliably explore the backroads of America.
Sea to Shining Sea ... all 4 corners and Alaska or bust.

Attached the truck's show sheet displayed at cruise-ins.

Attachments

SgtMajHarper

Attention on deck !! Here's the story on my Gama Goat, take your seat, get comfy, hold your questions to the end and I'll try to brief.....(or not). Since "mostly retiring" and knowing I needed something to do other than wait to meet St. Pete at the entry control point, I started looking around the internet in the winter months at things of interest. Military vehicles and military in general are always a top topic. That got me my first truck a few years ago.

I did not get a booster shot for the "green truck flu" and a couple of years after getting truck number 1 on the road, I again started looking around the internet in the cold months and low and behold, discovered an M561 Gama Goat within driving distance of home listed for sale at all places a car lot. I would revisit the ad every few days for a few months, it was always still there, always still calling me to "just go look at it". One day i decided to just call and ask about it, yes, it's still here, come on up anytime and see it. I felt a possible relapse of the "green truck flu" as I planned my "secret visit". Wife was working all day, check; I had enough time and gas to drive up, look at it and get home before she was off work and due home; check, I had my "I'm just looking" lines rehearsed, double check....I'm off.

It was a cold winters day, snowing, blowing, idiots on the road, everything saying go back home.......ha!, I had the fever along with the other symptoms many of us know too well, I pressed on. on arrival, finding someone who actually knew anything about the vehicle was a challenge. They located it pushed to the extreme back of the old beaters lot with cars all jammed in around it, snow and ice blocking everything in. It took a couple of hours just to get everything moved to get close to it. obviously not something they thought would going anywhere anytime soon. It took maybe another hour to get it started. The salesman said take it for a ride, so of course I did. "A clue" that still resonates in my brain of how things were going to be, was just trying to get my 6-4, 250 frame inside of a driving compartment built for a scrawny 18 yo kid. For those not familiar with the "Goat", to get in, you slide down into it similar to sliding into the cockpit of a fighter jet....yes, Gama Goat drivers are like fighter pilots! (Things you never knew),

Anyway, it drove, sounded great, ran great, I kicked the tires and knew I didn't have a place at home to put it where it would remain un-noticed by the wife. I found the salesman, talked the talk and he wanted money like it was on a car lot. My offer was lower than what they paid for it, yadda, yadda. My parting shot was asking if a lot of people came by and looked at and thought it was cool but pointed out here it still sits and I said my fare-thee-well.

(I know it's getting long, but I'm sitting on the couch waiting for the wife to get ready to go out to dinner, so I have time to keep typing). I got home before the wife got home and said nothing about my trip. I went to work the next day putting in a long day at the rifle range in the cold, came home frozen and ready to unwind and warm up. My entry into the house was met with, "by the way, your friend called and said to come pick up your Gama Goat", "did you buy a Gama Goat"? So much for my clandestine trip to the big city. I tapped danced like Fred Astair, but never lied. "I did not buy a Gama Goat" and told the whole story.......leaving it with "they want way too much for it". (True)

She went to work the next day, I called the owner of the car lot as soon as the coast was clear and my "green truck flu" hit full force, my offer was accepted, come get it. Long story short finally....I did buy it. The truck was luckily in pretty good shape, had some spare parts in the back buried under snow and ice. I spent @ 3 years getting it all cherried out, making everything as I wanted it, new paint and markings and waited on the "Commie DMV" to get me a title and license plates so I could get it on the road. Its 100% correct as far as I can tell, I got everything working on it that needed attention, parts are hard and sometimes harder to find and then it's a Beee-yatch to contort myself to where I can work on it, but here it is for your viewing pleasure. (Wife is finally done getting ready for going to town, so I gotta close) More pics to follow.

Carry on!

SgtMajHarper

I live in Colorado; I've been cold before, didn't like it, so I found a NOS heater and with lots of digging thru the archives on this site and help form a few members got it installed. Man, what a pain that was, but it's in like issue and works like a champ. You can almost make your own smoke screen with the exhaust from this beast when it first fires up.
CIMG2911.JPG
CIMG2914.JPG
CIMG2915.JPG
CIMG2916.JPG

SgtMajHarper

I've had my Goat on the road for a little over a year now. Here's a picture of the first parade I drove it in, I had 6 "spares" at home in the garage, not one in the truck that day. Mr. Murphy had a good laugh at my expense. All new tires a year later and a couple of spares in the back just in case.
img_2063.jpg
DSCF0019.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks