• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2022 - February VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1.Dieselfitter

2. Elijah95

3. DiamondDave

4. kendelrio

5. glcaines

6. nayrbrellim

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the MV of the month poll sponsored by Consolidated Press. If you need decals, magnets, stencils, or anything printing related, please give them a call!

Now, onto the vote! Please vote for MV of the month! Feel free to campaign in this thread, but please keep it here and not via PM.

1.Dieselfitter

2. Elijah95

3. DiamondDave

4. kendelrio

5. glcaines

6. nayrbrellim
A 3 way tie for first - so long as nobody else votes we might have a chance LOL

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For our new to the contest members:

This thread is where we "campaign" for our vehicles. Just a hint: everyone LOVES pictures!

Tell us about your vehicle, how/when you recovered it, and upgrades/update/changes to it and how you use it/plan to use it.

For example:

My vehicle is a 1954 Dodge M37.

20220112_133304.jpg

She started life as a radio truck in the Army, as testified to by the external selenium rectifier mounted in front of the radiator
Screenshot_20220216-174002_Gallery.jpg

And the holes drilled in the driver's side wall of the bed:
Screenshot_20220216-174147_Gallery.jpg

After her time in the service, she was given to a small town in north Louisiana where they used her for a while, in the process her cowl vent rusted, so they bondod over it... 😳

Screenshot_20220216-175530_Gallery.jpg

The gentleman I bought her from got her as his first high school vehicle in the 80s, and his father and he rebuilt it the best they could for him to have a serviceable truck.

I first laid eyes in her in 2007. She was sitting behind the shop of a man I was buying a 1969 M35 from. I saw her and asked "WHAT IS THAT?!?!" "Oh, that's an old M37 of mine." He then went on to explain its sentimental value and that it for sure was not for sale.....

Fast forward to 2020. I've lost contact with the man as he had moved etc and I'm at a high school football game with my sweet lady watching her son walk across the field for senior awards... and who do I see but my buddy I bought the deuce from!!

We get to chit chatting, I show him my 5 ton, he shows me his M35A3 and I casually ask "Do you still have the M37?"

"As a matter of fact I do! I need to sell it or otherwise it's just gonna rot away"... I immediately started the conversation, because THAT truck has been a dream vehicle for me...

So... fast forward a couple months and the deal is done and it's time to recover! (The funnest part of buying an MV!!!)

To say she was overgrown is kind of an understatement:

received_605877303889505.jpeg

received_1559005354455650.jpeg

After a couple of hours with a weedeater, she was ready to load.... I had to wait til the next day when I had a car carrier to haul her home.

Here she is with her proud new owner!
20220111_133852.jpg

Here she is sitting with a couple of grandkids enjoying being "out of the weeds"

20220111_134558.jpg

Next post, recovery.

Dieselfitter

Im not much of a campaigner ,but i will give you the facts as i lived them !

truck came from a navy base in RI and was part of a unit that keeps our shore safe from attacts by sea.
jatonka is a friend of mine and i asked about a truck with a dump bed for logging my property in NY and then hauling rock for my roads in WY, as we live off grid and very remote .
the extra payload with a 6x6 vs 4x4 bobbed was almost the deciding factor , but i really needed the nimble driving ability in the woods , 6x6”s dont turn well when loaded , power steering done at a reasonable price has all but vanished. So bobbed was the final decision. start date for build appox 2014
the trailer bed with inside fenders really hates logs , so removing them and re welding in flats to make the bed a rectangle box will also make for rock fully unloading. It was the first mod when i started logging .

i had a hand in removing the rear axles and suspension brackets from the frame that are riveted on , not a fun task without scarring the frame.
jatonka sourced and installed rear output pto unit , hydro ram and related parts for dump conversion.
Oct 2016 we spend most all our money framing up our house in WY Jan 31 2017 we lose our house in NY to fire , we live in the sticks so by the time people started seeing “too much smoke “ on the hill the house was fully engulfed , this bump in the road of life put the brakes on the deuce project for a few yrs . 3 yrs later i start funneling money to the truck again and jatonka and crew finish truck mechanically by spring on 2021.
this build would not have happened with out him !
F5B63AF0-1856-4828-A29F-54D05CAB8189.jpeg

Another great friend of mine ,we will call him “teddy” to protect the innocent, he is a MV ower also and has some really perfect trucks !
he wanted to do the paint. The truck has about a yr of duty logging in NY and the rest of its life will be on the high plains desert in WY !
desert tan , or as my much younger buddy teddy calls it “ old man tan “ was ordered in gals . I wanted to tape off the decals of the unit it served on the doors and bumper.
he went WAY over board with color change , painting inside the cab. Taping off the dash had to been painfull. I have called teddy an A** but never call him 1/2 A**ed . He puts in 110%
395’s were installed at same time .
288DC799-4B71-4190-BF3A-10F29E48A2D3.jpeg

Trailer springs in rear axle provides outside frame rail mounting of springs for a wider more stable load carrying and helper pack. I also added a custom spring over shock to help control weight . Welding overhead on a creeper freckled me up some , pain is temporary … right ?
97833BCB-1C98-4353-84F9-36CD356AEE94.jpeg
water pump , generator to alt. , belts ,rad flush , spin filters and other add ons came quick. Being in the woods all day founded the need for coyote control ! Bambi has personally thanked me with tracks all around the log landing .
71E5CC3D-41C2-4DA6-99E2-B7E4BE11C7C4.jpeg

A custom 4” stack and bracket steadied the mirror for easier backing .
D8BCE673-A042-48AE-9D1F-2DBC941B8DB9.jpeg

door sweep on transfer hi low level and other holes plugged made the heater seem like it was finally working in zero degrees.
D3F763CD-EBC9-490E-84C3-E8CD554965B0.jpeg

vibration isolating butale mats rolled in on sheet metal helped quiet the cab alot
AFCAD97F-FEC6-4F66-92AA-37605FB183B2.jpeg

This truck has been the only way to log some areas on my spring fed property , and has paid for itself already.
the biggest cost of ownership for me ,is TIME .
if you own one ,you know the time spent is grand , as your pride of ownership grows with each mod or repair .
hardtop and mudflaps were the last mods done .

wow all that just came out !
a true waterfall of work and commitment to a historical , iconic truck of this great country AMERICA ! Lets keep them sharp and running !
The bug has biten deep as i start the next build , a true 6x6 for a tanker pump truck , a praire fire fighting rig for WY !

i wont vote for my truck , seems odd to me , so maybe its me thats odd after all !
my vote will go to the diesel motorcycle , love it , and didnt know one existed til now. Thanks for posting it !

Last edited:

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the best stories ever about my truck Juhnay.

Our daughter had come home to visit from college (I got Juhnay after she left for college and she hadnt seen her yet) and wanted to take het for a spin into little downtown Reidsville NC for some ice cream. She drove her no problems and really liked it, later that week she visited me at work and my boss asked her if she was scared driving such a big truck around town and stuff.

Her reply, "Why would I be scared, I was the biggest baddest thing on the road, everybody else is the ones who should be scared" - mah girl

Attachments

dmetalmiki

For our new to the contest members:

This thread is where we "campaign" for our vehicles. Just a hint: everyone LOVES pictures!

Tell us about your vehicle, how/when you recovered it, and upgrades/update/changes to it and how you use it/plan to use it.

For example:

My vehicle is a 1954 Dodge M37.

View attachment 859137

She started life as a radio truck in the Army, as testified to by the external selenium rectifier mounted in front of the radiator
View attachment 859138

And the holes drilled in the driver's side wall of the bed:
View attachment 859139

After her time in the service, she was given to a small town in north Louisiana where they used her for a while, in the process her cowl vent rusted, so they bondod over it... 😳

View attachment 859144

The gentleman I bought her from got her as his first high school vehicle in the 80s, and his father and he rebuilt it the best they could for him to have a serviceable truck.

I first laid eyes in her in 2007. She was sitting behind the shop of a man I was buying a 1969 M35 from. I saw her and asked "WHAT IS THAT?!?!" "Oh, that's an old M37 of mine." He then went on to explain its sentimental value and that it for sure was not for sale.....

Fast forward to 2020. I've lost contact with the man as he had moved etc and I'm at a high school football game with my sweet lady watching her son walk across the field for senior awards... and who do I see but my buddy I bought the deuce from!!

We get to chit chatting, I show him my 5 ton, he shows me his M35A3 and I casually ask "Do you still have the M37?"

"As a matter of fact I do! I need to sell it or otherwise it's just gonna rot away"... I immediately started the conversation, because THAT truck has been a dream vehicle for me...

So... fast forward a couple months and the deal is done and it's time to recover! (The funnest part of buying an MV!!!)

To say she was overgrown is kind of an understatement:

View attachment 859140

View attachment 859141

After a couple of hours with a weedeater, she was ready to load.... I had to wait til the next day when I had a car carrier to haul her home.

Here she is with her proud new owner!
View attachment 859143

Here she is sitting with a couple of grandkids enjoying being "out of the weeds"

View attachment 859142

Next post, recovery.
Them's 'As me' vote.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks