• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2024 - February VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things that are done. When I purchased this Jeep, I knew little about the M38A1. But I soon discovered that a FD had owned it at some time in its life. They had replaced the M38A1 engine with a CJ5 engine. The block and head are mostly the same but just about everything else is different. I added the oil filter, radiator shroud, correct oil filler tube, correct carburetor & valve cover, breather lines, new fuel lines from the fuel tank to engine, and air hose from engine to air filter. Still some things to be done under the hood.

104_0359.JPG
104_0360.JPG

Things being done. The FD butchered the hood by welding the fording device plug into the hood. I scrounged a hood from a friend, it had some rough spots, so I had a local body and fender shop clean it up. They did a good job. The FD wasn't done butchering this poor jeep, for some reason they cut the tub for the slave plug out and welded a cover over the hole. I have since scrounged up 2 tubs that were cut out of scrapped jeeps and hope to have the local body and fender shop do the repair. Last but not least, the FD cut some holes in the rear fenders and installed a couple of buckets with wood lids. I don't know what the FD used them for. I use them as little ice chests, I load them with ice and a few drinks and were off to the hills for lunch. I am going to leave these as is. They're good for something and it's one less thing to fix. Still have some cosmetic stuff to go.
104_0351.JPG
104_0352.JPG

104_0355.JPG
104_0358.JPG

104_0366.JPG
104_0367.JPG

Major things left to do. Rebuild and install original fuel pump, original complete fuel pumps are hard to find. I found this one on e-bay it came from Bulgaria. (no fooling) The Jeep needs to be completely rewired. Someone has rewired the starter, but the rest of the jeep needs a new wiring harness.

104_0372.JPG
104_0361.JPG

DSC_0269.jpg

I would like to dedicate my MV of the Month post to my friends, Sonny Hanson driving, Tracer behind Sonny, Jim Porterfield front passenger, & M38 Mike behind Jim. All M38A1 owners. Taken at the MVCC Spring meet Petaluma CA, 2018

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More like truly gritty !! It's rarely clean... It's just a good workhorse ...

I have to admit I have a soft spot for clean M38A1's ... My A1 is in sad shape, half torn apart for decades now.. And my M38"A5" sits in a shed ignored, while the tires slowly fall apart :(

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More like truly gritty !! It's rarely clean... It's just a good workhorse ...

I have to admit I have a soft spot for clean M38A1's ... My A1 is in sad shape, half torn apart for decades now.. And my M38"A5" sits in a shed ignored, while the tires slowly fall apart :(
Well, central illinois could use some 38's....hint hint, wink wink, nod nod

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks