• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2024 - March VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToddJK

My deuce "Crispy" is trying to live up to its name, yesterday after work, I started up the deuce and about three minutes later, I hear this "sssssss" sound. Wasn't sure if it was air or what... nope, came a loud bang, sounded like a shotgun blast going off in the cab, the floor on the passenger side even flexed upward a little as I saw some pop bottles bounce, almost immediately after, my generator went straight to overcharge and before my dash lights popped, melted one of the red lens, headlights popped, tail lights popped, temp gauge burned out and my oil pressure gauge started on fire with a bunch of smoke from behind the dash. Immediately I shut the deuce down and even though I flipped the cut off switch to the batteries off, the red LED light that's on the posi side was still lit! There was such a huge surge of energy, the cutoff failed as the it started arcing! Luckily it didn't burn, nothing too important was roasted, but holy hell, what happened??

Let this be a reminder, do not buy a knock off Chinese made battery equalizer! Mine shorted out, some how caused a short in the first battery in the series and caused the battery to explode and threw my posi cable into the steel battery box causing a massive short which I suspect made the generator go into overcharge and blew everything! Luckily my auxillary lights still worked so I was able to get home and the fact I work at Cabela's, I ran in and bought a Marine battery, it's a deep cycle but I didn't care, either I get home or I don't. Luckily, and I didn't realize this, since it was a Cabela's brand battery and myself being an employee, I got 50% so that made the hurt a little less painful. I already ordered new headlights, new gauges, but ding, catching on fire once is good enough, but if y'all like a deuce that's not a afraid of the fires of brimstone, then you know who to vote for! 🤣

Attachments

ToddJK

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce "Crispy" is trying to live up to its name, yesterday after work, I started up the deuce and about three minutes later, I hear this "sssssss" sound. Wasn't sure if it was air or what... nope, came a loud bang, sounded like a shotgun blast going off in the cab, the floor on the passenger side even flexed upward a little as I saw some pop bottles bounce, almost immediately after, my generator went straight to overcharge and before my dash lights popped, melted one of the red lens, headlights popped, tail lights popped, temp gauge burned out and my oil pressure gauge started on fire with a bunch of smoke from behind the dash. Immediately I shut the deuce down and even though I flipped the cut off switch to the batteries off, the red LED light that's on the posi side was still lit! There was such a huge surge of energy, the cutoff failed as the it started arcing! Luckily it didn't burn, nothing too important was roasted, but holy hell, what happened??

Let this be a reminder, do not buy a knock off Chinese made battery equalizer! Mine shorted out, some how caused a short in the first battery in the series and caused the battery to explode and threw my posi cable into the steel battery box causing a massive short which I suspect made the generator go into overcharge and blew everything! Luckily my auxillary lights still worked so I was able to get home and the fact I work at Cabela's, I ran in and bought a Marine battery, it's a deep cycle but I didn't care, either I get home or I don't. Luckily, and I didn't realize this, since it was a Cabela's brand battery and myself being an employee, I got 50% so that made the hurt a little less painful. I already ordered new headlights, new gauges, but ding, catching on fire once is good enough, but if y'all like a deuce that's not a afraid of the fires of brimstone, then you know who to vote for! 🤣
Seems like an H2 explosion to me. Did you smell hydrogen sulfide?

The hissing was probably a weak battery pushing out gas right after start and then taking full charge. I've had this on a few VRLA golf cart batteries. H2S has a strong odor. batts produce H2 during charge (lots during overcharge) and heavy discharge but normally small amounts. But There can't be an ignition source at the battery, ever. Even jumping a dead truck can cause a batt explosion if there's a spark near the batt. That Chinese charger was probably shorting internally, igniting the gas. I've had some cheap Chinese power supplies just randomly start shorting out and burning for no reason. The component quality sucks.

your truck made an H2 bomb. looking at the exploded battery, it's pretty obvious. Cool thou, the h2 explosion made water.. and heat
2H2 (g) + O2 (g) → 2H2 O(g), ΔH = –484 kJ mol–1

https://batteryinsight.com/2023/03/...-rotten-eggs-what-it-means-and-how-to-fix-it/

Last edited:

canadacountry

@Migginsbros regarding being in front of that white/red/white plane, I know its not military but I'm curious about whats on its belly? I sorta wanted to assume oil-to-air cooler but mm I could be wrong. And as for your later interior shot I don't know about you but as soon as I see several sticks sitting on tiered boots I'm always "hey, thats got to be an unimog period!" as I can't recall anything else even doing it like they did right? hehe

@kendelrio now that I've seen the sides now it makes sense as a while ago I was like "uhh why does a light need a very long tube for itself?" but never realized it was actually for a string of sideway-facing lights instead tho. and haha to comparing yourself to two very obviously different tire diameters, cute

ToddJK

Seems like an H2 explosion to me. Did you smell hydrogen sulfide?

The hissing was probably a weak battery pushing out gas right after start and then taking full charge. I've had this on a few VRLA golf cart batteries. H2S has a strong odor. batts produce H2 during charge (lots during overcharge) and heavy discharge but normally small amounts. But There can't be an ignition source at the battery, ever. Even jumping a dead truck can cause a batt explosion if there's a spark near the batt. That Chinese charger was probably shorting internally, igniting the gas. I've had some cheap Chinese power supplies just randomly start shorting out and burning for no reason. The component quality sucks.

your truck made an H2 bomb. looking at the exploded battery, it's pretty obvious. Cool thou, the h2 explosion made water.. and heat
2H2 (g) + O2 (g) → 2H2 O(g), ΔH = –484 kJ mol–1

https://batteryinsight.com/2023/03/...-rotten-eggs-what-it-means-and-how-to-fix-it/
That's probably what happened. I didn't notice any odors, it was pretty windy out too, so maybe that's why I didn't smell anything.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's probably what happened. I didn't notice any odors, it was pretty windy out too, so maybe that's why I didn't smell anything.
Could just be H2 then. H2S occurs more after a sulfonated battery takes big charge, very noticeable. H2 gas is common around batteries taking hard charge or overcharge. Whereas H2S a sign of old batts. If the maintainer was keeping them up to full, then the charge from the alt will subsequently make some h2. No big deal really, unless there's an igniter! Those didn't look like old batteries from the photo. The hissing was prob just that dang charger box shorting out, waiting for enough h2 to collect. I'm not a believer in keeping electronic components in the battery box. You got got by the CCP! Their products are crappy.

Last edited by a moderator:

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
someone get @kendelrio to stand next to an offroad dump truck tire if we want to have a bit of pointless "honey I shrunk the kid!" level of kidding?
hehehe!!!
(I mean he won't be able to rest his elbow anywhere but literally on the tire hub itself?)
as we get older, the trucks get bigger & we get shorter. or maybe it's just one of those. vicious cycle. If this keeps up, I'm going to need a Yugo to maintain my height.

Migginsbros

@Migginsbros regarding being in front of that white/red/white plane, I know its not military but I'm curious about whats on its belly? I sorta wanted to assume oil-to-air cooler but mm I could be wrong. And as for your later interior shot I don't know about you but as soon as I see several sticks sitting on tiered boots I'm always "hey, thats got to be an unimog period!" as I can't recall anything else even doing it like they did right? hehe

@kendelrio now that I've seen the sides now it makes sense as a while ago I was like "uhh why does a light need a very long tube for itself?" but never realized it was actually for a string of sideway-facing lights instead tho. and haha to comparing yourself to two very obviously different tire diameters, cute
The plane was used by the frech allies. They do exercises in recover people out of the plane, they told us. Don´t know the typ of the plane nor the belly throat. ;)
With the bunch of levers at the trany top it´s easy if you use them once.:driver:

Last edited:

canadacountry

canadacountry

@Migginsbros oh and before i forget about you, I know that when you get used to it it seem like a normal thing but still I mean any time anyone sees an interior photo even if for the very first time its too easy to tell that its an unimog and nothing else you know?

and regarding getting used to it, I'm not sure how many vehicles from the 1980-1990s span had them but there is always the Trabant and certain Japan vans etc with modern column shifters instead of being 'stick from the floor/dashbottom' like everyone else (I know I pre-covid saw at least one JDM camper listing in Canada that had a column 5spd from factory) .. funny enough a particular book I rather like, the author mentioned that the column shifter was a good anti-thief measure because no thief would even know how to use one .. hmmm

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@MatthewWBailey I simply was curious and searched 'tall driver in small car' online, somehow managed to find this one

and also "what..the.." to this one
(and look at that very tiny 2-dr hatchback in the background, doesn't look like a Smart at all hmm)
I have claustrophobia from looking at those😛

cmon! Just get a motorcycle, it'd be heavier!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks