• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel tubing

dilligaf13

I'm in the process of buiding a hitch and need a foot or two of some 3X3X1/2 metal tubing for a reciever tube. The only place I've found it had a minimum order of $250 regardless of size :shock:. I'm in South Florida but will pay to get it shipped down here from a shop. I'm trying to avoid welding up 3x2 1/2 angle to make the tubing if possible. Thanks.

m816 someday

Try a local weld shop that does truck bodies and hitches, they should have what you need - that's the kind of place where I get my receiver tubing.

Heath_h49008

You might want to ask that supplier in different terms.... When I was hunting aluminum for a firearm project I got the same response, then I asked specifically for "Drops." Most suppliers cut their orders... they also have odd ends and such from cutting them called "drops" or "Drop cuttings"... often sold just over scrap price as well!

Once I asked that way, the minimum order was $25, and I got 3x what I thought I needed, as well as stuff for another project to make up the difference.

Try it.

PROSTOCKTOM

The best place in the World for any kind of material is Speedy Metals www.speedymetals.com

No mins. and If all you want is 1" of something they will sell it to you.

There shipping is super fast and always well packaged.

If there is something that you are ever looking for and don't see it on the website call them.

They have a lot more materials in stock than what there website list.

I've honestly sent hundreds of guys to Speedy Metals you can't go wrong with them.

Tom

Last edited:

Kasper31

Go to: www. Northern Equipment.com , or call 1-800-533-5545
they have kits made to order.

also try: McMaster-Carr: www. mcmaster.com, or call 1-330-995-5500
If they don't have it you don't need it.

You can't wear it out looking at it, use it, if it breaks you found your limit;)

dilligaf13

The best place in the World for any kind of material is Speedy Metals www.speedymetals.com

No mins. and If all you want is 1" of something they will sell it to you.

There shipping is super fast and always well packaged.

If there is something that you are ever looking for and don't see it on the website call them.

They have a lot more materials in stock than what there website list.

I've honestly sent hundreds of guys to Speedy Metals you can't go wrong with them.

Tom
I was looking at them last night, even kept the webpage up to call them in the a.m. Their website didn't show them having it but I figured I call and see if they some. Thanks.

dilligaf13

You might want to ask that supplier in different terms.... When I was hunting aluminum for a firearm project I got the same response, then I asked specifically for "Drops." Most suppliers cut their orders... they also have odd ends and such from cutting them called "drops" or "Drop cuttings"... often sold just over scrap price as well!

Once I asked that way, the minimum order was $25, and I got 3x what I thought I needed, as well as stuff for another project to make up the difference.

Try it.
I guess it's such an uncommon size that even the drop scrap piles I usually get my stuff out of at the local places didn't have it. The only place I found it was a 10' drop piece and they had no problem cutting it down and shipping just a foot. When they said it would be $250 plus shipping I laughed. He said their minimum order was $250, I said thanks anyway.

Awesome Possum

Try it.
Heath is right about this, but I'll give you the big secret I learned over the years: Don't go in the front door, but into the shop. Dress like you belong there (no ties or button down shirts!), and ask the first guy you meet about talking to them aboutgetting a small piece or two of drops. He'll get you with the right guy in the shop, and you may walk out of there with it for free if it's small enough, a lot cheaper anyways. Also try scrap yards as well. they'll often have NOS steel in stock as well.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welding / Fabrication shops are a good place for what you need, speaking steel. If you want drops on Aluminum try the suppliers, alot of them cut stock to their clents needs and throw the cutoffs in the scrap bins. I found some 1 1/2" thick by 12" dia Forged solid round cutoffs that I paid scrap prices for...

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you get the right type of tubing for a hitch. One type has a weld seam on the inside of tube and your hicth will not fit in it. You have to the type made to " recieve " a hitch. Another words, more money.

quickfarms

If you are using it to make a 2.5" square reciever than the actual dimensions will be about 2.56" inside and seamless or dom, that not that common.

so you need to keep looking at other places

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TSC has the tubes with the reinforcement ring already welded on and the hole for the pin drilled. I think I gave something like $25 for the last one I bought there.

Northern Tool has them from $12 to $44 depending on the length you need.

goldneagle

Most trailer dealers sell these as parts. I know Franklin Trailer in NJ sold all kinds of trailer receivers and parts as well as trailer lights , brakes, axles etc. There should be some trailer dealers in Florida.

dilligaf13

The problem with most standard trailer reciever tubes such as the reese is that they are made of 5/16 square tubing with a 3/8 reinforcement ring. I've combed through all the local iron works drop piles and most of them don't even remember ever ordering any 3X3X1/2. Speedy metal and McMaster-Carr don't carry that size and I'm waiting on a call back from Metals depot. I did notice the issue of the seam and seamless square tubing yesterday at a local shop. I have a feeling that since I'm having this much trouble finding any regular seamed 3X3X1/2 that finding seamless will be next to impossible. The search continues though. Thanks for all the help

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could call Trotwood Steel in Trotwood, Ohio on West Third St. Dan is the owner and if he has something you need I can get it and ship it to you in a USPS box (if it fits it ships).

Gimpy and I have both purchased steel from Dan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks