• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steelsoldiers’ BIG M1152A1 HMMWV Project!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got some more work done last weekend, but didn’t have a chance to share until now!

I masked all of the door sills, battery box, rear fenders, and tailgate in preparation for spraying the Raptor Liner. Once that was done, I sprayed two coats on the entire interior, bed area, and tailgate. It took 10 1-liter bottles to do it! After it dried for about an hour, I unmasked everything to leave some clean lines.

It turned out great, and now I have to reverse mask everything in preparation for priming the entire exterior this weekend!

By the way, wads of aluminum foil are a great way to protect bolt holes from liner. I used them in all of the lower seatbelt mounting holes.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Primer goes on today! I had planned to spray it over the weekend, but the shop I bought my epoxy primer from recommended sanding the truck to 400 grit instead of 320. All of the sanding was done by Saturday night and Sunday was spent wiping the body down and masking. Did some more masking last night and will finish it up this afternoon. Then, it will be time for one final blow down, wiping with a tack cloth, and then epoxy primer! You’re supposed to top coat within 3 days, so that means 911 flat black is going on Saturday!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After masking for about 6 more hours (it’s amazing how long it takes to do it right) I was finally ready to start spraying primer. I was a bit rusty with the spray gun since this is the first vehicle I have painted since my 1009 about 17 years ago. Thankfully, I got my gun settings and technique down spraying primer instead of color. Speaking of color, the black primer looks really good and gives me a taste of the real thing. The other nice thing is scratches (and there will be plenty) won’t show nearly as bad as they would have with red or gray primer.

My “paint booth” worked pretty well. I had a high velocity fan blowing out under the door with some 14x14 air filters picking up the particulate. They were completely black by the end of the night. My only complaint was not having enough light! That and not finishing until after midnight… sheesh.

I have a few runs to sand out, but other than that, I am ready to shoot some GCI 911 on Saturday!

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great! All that time spent doing it correctly will really pay off. Also make sure you get your lighting worked out, black is hard enough already. Plus it’s very tough getting a solid covering over color matching primer, especially if you can’t see the wet edge on all those irregular shapes. Are you going to do more than one coat? This makes it a lot easier if battling coverage issues…

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looking great! All that time spent doing it correctly will really pay off. Also make sure you get your lighting worked out, black is hard enough already. Plus it’s very tough getting a solid covering over color matching primer, especially if you can’t see the wet edge on all those irregular shapes. Are you going to do more than one coat? This makes it a lot easier if battling coverage issues…
I’m going to set up some more lights before I paint this weekend. It was hard to see the wet edge over the green too. I had to hold my cell phone with one hand and paint with the other lol. Planning on two coats of color.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
AC/DC is playing tonight because this HMMWV is Back in Black!

Today, I reinstalled the footwell armor, A-pillar reinforcements, rear seatbelt mounts, and AC grille/block-off. I also put a bolt in all of the troop seat mounting holes. Can’t stand empty bolt holes lol. After that, I gave it one final tack cloth wipe down and blow down. Then, it was time for two coats of GCI 911.

It laid down really well! Can’t wait to get it in-masked tomorrow and start the reassembly process!

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AC/DC is playing tonight because this HMMWV is Back in Black!

Today, I reinstalled the footwell armor, A-pillar reinforcements, rear seatbelt mounts, and AC grille/block-off. I also put a bolt in all of the troop seat mounting holes. Can’t stand empty bolt holes lol. After that, I gave it one final tack cloth wipe down and blow down. Then, it was time for two coats of GCI 911.

It laid down really well! Can’t wait to get it in-masked tomorrow and start the reassembly process!
All that attention to detail is really paying off!!!

thoner7

Great looking truck. I painted/lined mine in the fall and yes it’s a crazy amount of work to tape.

can I ask how many gallons of the lizard skin it took to do your interior? Did you do the inside of your doors?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great looking truck. I painted/lined mine in the fall and yes it’s a crazy amount of work to tape.

can I ask how many gallons of the lizard skin it took to do your interior? Did you do the inside of your doors?
Thanks! I used the 2 gallon pail and covered the floors and drivetrain tunnel. I probably could have used an extra gallon to make it a little thicker in spots, but knew I was covering it in Raptor Liner, so stuck with 2 gallons. I did not do the doors. The manufacturer already coated the insides in a smooth bed liner coating.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No big updates since we were out of town for the last two weekends. This week, I am starting the reassembly process. I also have to mask and string up the last of the parts to get ready to spray them black this weekend.

My Rhino tire carrier showed up at Blue Lane freight last week and I picked it up on Monday. Just needs a replacement stud and a coat of paint. Anyone know if they take standard HMMWV studs? I looked it up in the parts manual, but the Rhino part number didn’t cross over to anything else.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I’ve been making some good headway with reassembly over the last few weekends. I got the last of the parts hung up and sprayed, the tire carrier installed, light and signal switches installed, fuel filler surround installed, reflectors installed, taillights gutted and reassembled with Trucklite LED modules, ground adapters made for the taillights, splash guards rebuilt, tranny controller installed, new taillight and side marker buckets installed, and new taillights and marker lights installed. It’s really coming together now!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
More progress over the weekend! I started out by installing the front marker lights, turn signals, headlights, and blackout driving lights. After that, I moved on to installing the left and right splash guards and a new hood prop rod. I need to install the new airlift hook gaskets on the hood and then the front end should be done! Then, it’ll be time for seat brackets, seats, the cargo divider, and the soft top. Woohoo!

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More progress over the weekend! I started out by installing the front marker lights, turn signals, headlights, and blackout driving lights. After that, I moved on to installing the left and right splash guards and a new hood prop rod. I need to install the new airlift hook gaskets on the hood and then the front end should be done! Then, it’ll be time for seat brackets, seats, the cargo divider, and the soft top. Woohoo!
Great work!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks