• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steelsoldiers’ BIG M1152A1 HMMWV Project!!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the risk of you saying I'm derailing the thread.... :)

I use this one from Amazon and it is only $34 and it connects to your Smartphone. Works well and I use it for looking under or inside anything. As a matter of fact it is sitting here on my laptop.

DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, iPad, Samsung -Black(11.5FT)

I'm reading the thread and have already picked up some stuff on my slightly bigger truck, especially the fiberglass. Thanks Chris and I'm enjoying the read.
I was looking at those type of bore scopes, I bought one and it required me to give the app. access to my media (photos) AND my contact list, this gives the owners of the app access to all your contact information and stored pictures, read selling out all your friends contact information....
This is extremely common with free apps (why they are free and the hardware cheap), why I don't use them, I just tossed the whole thing in the trash.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased one on Temu. It has its own screen. $35 bucks (give or take).

But also:

:derailed:

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I put the final layers of fiberglass on the hood today. This time I added a few more on the front and back to increase the thickness of the repair. Then, I added a couple of larger pieces that wrapped all the way around both sides. Now, it’s thick enough and strong enough for some chopped fiberglass filler and then a top coat of regular filler. I’ll get that applied tomorrow hopefully.

After the fiberglass work was done, I resumed preparing the interior for Lizard Skin. I had to drill out the rivets out of the rear curtain support, and then remove the weatherstripping and residue. Tomorrow, I am going to finish cleaning out the interior and then take it outside for a deep cleaning.

Attachments

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitch lizzard did you want o use? Thermal oder akustic?
Shouldn't both be fitted on the underside instead of the inside? In other words, analogous to interior roller blinds, which are also useless if they are on the inside.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Whitch lizzard did you want o use? Thermal oder akustic?
Shouldn't both be fitted on the underside instead of the inside? In other words, analogous to interior roller blinds, which are also useless if they are on the inside.
I got the one for noise. It’s sprayed on the inside and then top-coated with regular paint for durability.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Today, I applied a coat of chopped fiberglass resin to the repair on the hood. It added a little thickness to the lip and created a uniform layer of fiberglass across the entire repair. It’ll get sanded down and then top coated with body filler before paint.

After that, I used a razor blade to remove all of the decals and residue. Then, I did a final sanding on the left front quarter panel before two coats of self etching primer.

Hoping to get it sanded down this week and then washed inside and out.

Attachments

Awol

You're definitely doing it right. That corner of the hood will be the strongest part now lol

I'm looking forward to the Lizard Skin. I used a similar product in the bed of my street truck, and it looks great. I don't know how durable it is, as I don't put anything in it, but seems strong.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You're definitely doing it right. That corner of the hood will be the strongest part now lol

I'm looking forward to the Lizard Skin. I used a similar product in the bed of my street truck, and it looks great. I don't know how durable it is, as I don't put anything in it, but seems strong.
Thank you! Hopefully, I won’t test the strength of the repair anytime soon hahaha. I’ll keep you posted on the sound deadening. I’m going to daily drive this truck some and haul the family in it regularly, so I want to temper the racket as best as I can.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pops showed us a method for fiberglass where you lay wax paper over the top of wet resin and it leaves a perfectly smooth surface. Popular Science gave him all kinds of ideas. Fiberglass can be a pain but stick some wax paper over the top and a fella can play with it. We used chunks of lumber on flat areas and fingers in corners to get shape over the wax paper. Once it's dry and you pull the paper it's like glass.....fiber Glass. Fiberglass front ends on our 3 ton trucks and a rookie driver combines for some good training in fiberglass repair.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Pops showed us a method for fiberglass where you lay wax paper over the top of wet resin and it leaves a perfectly smooth surface. Popular Science gave him all kinds of ideas. Fiberglass can be a pain but stick some wax paper over the top and a fella can play with it. We used chunks of lumber on flat areas and fingers in corners to get shape over the wax paper. Once it's dry and you pull the paper it's like glass.....fiber Glass. Fiberglass front ends on our 3 ton trucks and a rookie driver combines for some good training in fiberglass repair.
That sounds like a great method to try. Thanks!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think the hood repair turned out great! I sanded down the last coat of fiberglass and then spread a thin coat of filler over the whole repair. Today, I sanded that down and then put on a coat of primer. Now, it just needs some spot putty in a few pinholes and then it will be ready for paint.

Going to finish sanding down the rest of the truck tomorrow and then give it a deep cleaning. Hope to finally start painting it next weekend!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn’t get as much accomplished yesterday as I had hoped, but still had a very productive work session. I removed all of the lighting from the rear of the truck. That will make it a lot easier to paint, and it was only about half working anyway. All of the lights on this truck have seen better days. The front turn signals and rear tail lights were date stamped 2007, so they were probably the lights it was built with. The rubber connectors were all dry rotted and split, and the plastic housings were brittle and splitting around the lens screws.

I also drilled out the rivets that held the black plastic surrounds as they were chalky and splitting around the mounting holes. I will install new ones during reassembly.

After that, I removed the fuel filler surround, which was chalky and warped. The California sun and salt were hard on this truck!

I finished the day off by removing the badly rusted tailgate chains and then did some more sanding on the new fiberglass doors.

The weather looks great for painting this weekend, so I will try to finish up the prep work after work today and the rest of the week.

Attachments

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I reworked my tailgate chains, instead of going back to the rubber chain covers I went with a nylon sheathing. I like it better myself. The nylon flex’s better and just looks better in my eyes and is just as easy to replace as the rubber. Here is what I got

PATIKIL 0.9" Dia 1.6" Flat Dia 10FT Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve, Cable Cover Sheath Protection for Welding Tig Torch Hydraulic Hose, Black https://a.co/d/ieXcgTS

I can take a pic later when I get back home.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I reworked my tailgate chains, instead of going back to the rubber chain covers I went with a nylon sheathing. I like it better myself. The nylon flex’s better and just looks better in my eyes and is just as easy to replace as the rubber. Here is what I got

PATIKIL 0.9" Dia 1.6" Flat Dia 10FT Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve, Cable Cover Sheath Protection for Welding Tig Torch Hydraulic Hose, Black https://a.co/d/ieXcgTS

I can take a pic later when I get back home.
Great tip! Thanks! Unfortunately, my chains are almost rusted completely away. Glad I figured that out before one broke when I was standing on the tailgate!

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha they looked pretty rough in the pictures, a good find indeed. Murphy usually loves surprises. Took me awhile but here’s my chains and the nylon I used instead of rubber. Also my hooks were damaged to the point of them not bing functional so I had these carabiners laying around so I used them.

Attachments

Autonomy_Lost

Ha they looked pretty rough in the pictures, a good find indeed. Murphy usually loves surprises. Took me awhile but here’s my chains and the nylon I used instead of rubber. Also my hooks were damaged to the point of them not bing functional so I had these carabiners laying around so I used them.
You might want to consider making them into two halves for each chain, such that the tubes are open at the bottom when the tailgait is up. This will prevent the tubes from filling with water and rusting out the chains.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After hours and hours of prep work, I was finally able to spray the LizardSkin today!

Earlier this week, I finished a little more disassembly (check out the sweet duct tape splices on the headlight) and then wrapped up the sanding and priming. Then, I pulled it outside for a good scrubbing and pressure washing.

After it was dry, I wiped the whole thing down with a 50/50 denatured alcohol/water mix. Then, it was time for masking, masking, masking, and more masking…. Ugh

It’s still pretty cold here, so I had to put up some plastic and fire up the torpedo heater to make it warm enough. Once it was up to 70°, I filled the gun with LizardSkin and went to work. Thankfully, it went on pretty smoothly. Cleanup was a bit of a pain, but at least it is water based so no solvent required.

After it cures, I will finish masking the rest of the inside and outside of the truck before laying down some 911 flat black!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks