• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steelsoldiers' 404 goes on a 3000lb diet!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cranetruck aka Bjorn paid a visit to my house this week with his crane truck deuce. I had stripped the radio box down to the bare bones earlier in the week so when he arrived I just removed the 9 mounting bolts and the mighty HIAB knuckle-boom did the hard work. Thanks to Bjorn and his cranetruck I now have a 404 cab/chassis. I hope to get a troop bed bolted up soon. Stay tuned Mog fans. [thumbzup]

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a few more pics of the aftermath [:)] The last one is of the two hooks that hold the spare tire to the body. With all that German engineering, you would think they would at least have a deuce-like hoist to raise the tire up :rolleyes:

da_sgt

Very Cool Chris [thumbzup] Think I'd leave the box on the trailer...Nice tow along camper [^] Hows that thing run now in the mud/snow with no weight in the back :confused:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks guys. Da_sgt, I haven't had it on the road since the diet, but I am sure it is a lot more nimble than before. I'll probably gain a gear on the hills and increase my top speed by 5mph or so. The cargo bed that goes back on it only weighs about 1400 lbs so that should give it enough traction without killing the "performance." That being said, it is still a tractor, not a sports coupe.[:)]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get yerself a fifth wheel plate and make er a real tractor! Looks very interesting. Is that k-boom just the most useful tool? Wow, I like it!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmm, a Mog tractor, that would be a cool variant! I found a cargo body for it. I am hauling the box to NY this weekend and making an even swap for a nice, clean cargo bed. That knuckle-boom is awesome! I plan on having a Mog 416 one day with a HIAB k-boom and short bed. I see them come up for sale on the Mog importers websites every once in a while. Sweeeet.

vtunimog

Looks great with the Steel box off. If you mount anything on there make sure you dont' "hard" mount it. You need to keep that 20 degree frame flex or you will just have another stiff axled 4x4. The frame articulation is where it's at, as if you didn't know.

A cargo bed would look good on there, just happen to have one sitting in my yard. Just needs a floor (thinking about a two section diamondplate floor) All you have to do is drive to VT throw it onto your mog :yeah:

Have you taken the truck on-road/off-road since shedding the ton of extra weight ?

Cheers,

Chris M

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Chris, thanks for the offer for the bed. If the one in NY doesn't pan out I may be calling you. I haven't had it off-road yet. Hopefully I'll get the chance real soon if the weather will clean up a little bit. I am tire of the rain/snain/snow that we always get in March. Gotta go home right now and chain the box down in the rain. Arghhhh!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks