• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steer axle pto output flange removal help

Jim832904

I need to remove the flange from the steer axle pto output shaft so I can fit up my snow plow frame braces to the frame. Took the cotter pin out of the castle nut but can't figure a way to hold the flange from turning while I get on the nut. Is it a RH thread? How to hold the flange?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'l hazard a guess that you're talking about the driveshaft flange here................. Does it look like this (more or less-the picture is from a deuce)?

IMAG0915.jpg

If so, it won't spin unless the vehicle is moving. So your impact wrench will do a nice job of removing the nut.

Jim832904

Yes, mine is a 939, round with 6 or 8 bolt holes. A socket on the nut moves the entire driveline and I didn't want to ruin any internal differential parts by reefing on it without holding the flange. Is it ok to not hold the flange and spin the nut off? What will I find for a shaft seal?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Alright, bear in mind I haven't done an M939 pinion seal, but since it's a Rockwell, it ought to more or less be the same.

The nut is screwed onto the end of the pinion gear. The pinion gear can't spin because it's engaged with the intermediate gear that then spins the ring gear. This is assuming everything is together, tires are on the ground, etc. I don't think you are going to hurt the pinion gear by hitting it with an impact wrench. I've done tons of deuce pinion seals and haven't broken one yet.

Once you remove the nut, you'll remove the flange, with some kind of puller and you'll see a seal in there.

It will look like this:

IMAG0914.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a chain. Put a bolt though the chain and into a flange bolt hole, connect the other end to the frame(around). With it tight, the flange can not rotate.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As Clinto mentioned, just use an impact. You'll be fine. The 400ft-lbs your impact might exert on it pales in comparison to what the drivetrain can apply to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks