• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steerable Trailers?

M936 Dave

The M989A1 tows great with my 5 tons.
Backing it up is totally different!!

I always prided myself as fairly skilled when backing up a trailer.
The M989A1 wins every time.
I cannot back that thing up more than 5 feet before it wins.
Locking the pin wouldn't help me as I'm not in a huge smooth surface lot, so all I would do is just shear the lock pin.

Its great for hauling hay. For me that's about it.
I had to make new pins on the lathe just for that purpose and you're right they're fine going forward but not so easy to back up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So you can lock out the pivot on the m989a1? How does that help backing? Seems like backing like that would result in a bent tongue.
Agreed @pigpen60 !

There is a pin. It can be locked. MY personal opinion is Don't Do It! Broken parts will result from forcing the tongue...

Backing is possible if you proclaim expert status backing a normal trailer. It is NOT and easy task. Paying attention, noticing immediately when the front wheels start to make a turn - and compensating for it - is the only way to keep moving backward. More often than not, you make ten feet back and lose half that distance pulling back straight, then back up again.

BEST THING TO DO with the M989a1 is to use a "pull through" parking space. They haul lots of weight. They are tough trailers with lots of good tie-downs in the deck. They work really well in parades. You need a BIG truck to drag it and to stop it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks