• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering binding

Driving down the paved road two days ago I noticed the steering was binding a bit.
It's most noticeable when I am making small corrections to the long turns of the road at speeds greater than 40mph.
What I encounter is that there are distinct moments of resistance to my turning the wheel. the resistance is momentary and I can power through it but it does cause a little jumpiness in the steering.
I checked the power steering fluid and it was a little below "hot full" at hot. I added some dextron III since I was on the way to the auto parts store anyways. Unfortunately on the way home the binding effect continued.

I don't remember feeling this in the past but if it was any more minor I probably wouldn't have noticed it.The only thing I did since the last time i drove was to power wash the whole truck including the underside and engine compartment. I was careful in the engine compartment, but could I have done something to effect the power steering?

springer1981

Check all the steering universal joints. There is one at the back of the steering column and several in the engine compartment. Make sure they are all good and not binding.

DatGuyC

Ive been having a similar issue where the steering will feel like its binding when trying to turn. Normally I would think this was a joint or something but it only happens in the summer for me. Ive driven my truck plenty of times over the winter ans it hasnt happened once. This leads me to believe that its a power steering overheat issue. Ive checked the fluid and its right where its supposed to be and there aren't any leaks. I have the stock power steering cooler so I'm not really sure why it would be overheating.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
My two cent worth... Ah heck, it's free. I would be checking anything that is connected to the steering components. If it moves, turns, rotates, pushes or pulls, check it. That includes ball joints or any joints. Try it with wheels off the ground. Look, listen and do it again. Something will show up. I don't know for sure ?? but could the steering U-joints be out of sync or clock?? (really don't think so, probably over thinking it)

Any sloppy, wiggles or jiggles...change it out. Free advice, parts cost extra, CAMO

GOOD LUCK !!!

Ive been having a similar issue where the steering will feel like its binding when trying to turn. Normally I would think this was a joint or something but it only happens in the summer for me. Ive driven my truck plenty of times over the winter ans it hasnt happened once. This leads me to believe that its a power steering overheat issue. Ive checked the fluid and its right where its supposed to be and there aren't any leaks. I have the stock power steering cooler so I'm not really sure why it would be overheating.
Yeah mine seemed to start with the warm weather too.
Well I just took it for a drive after greasing all the steering components and that seemed to have solved it!! knock on wood...
I must have missed one of the grease zerks when I first got the truck.
Anyways, thanks to all for your replies!

mleara

I had the exact same problem , maybe a bit worse. Replaced idler arm and both lower front ball joints. Thought I was driving a completely different truck, so happy and relatively inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ikoinu

Here's a left field:

Noticed binding and a little noise from my pump a while ago. Checked fluid, looked good. No leaks. Potential air in system? Bled it using the manual standard, didn't fix it.
Dug a little deeper, and what do you know, the cheap cast alternator bracket to the power steering pump broke slacking the belt to the pump. Good excuse to swap in a 200 amp alternator & install kit.

Problem solved. Not the most likely problem, but it is always possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks