• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Box Adjustment ?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread, butmy steering box is getting a little loose. The bushings on the pitman arm shaft have some play in them and the box is allready adjusted with the adjustment screw. I did a search to see if anybody had some pictures of how it all goes together and changing the bushings. I first felt the steering box wear when i was driving down the road and felt the front end act like some old ford 8Ns do when you drive them down the road.... felt like the wires were flopping back and forth. i may be able to get another steering box, but would rather put new bushings and seal in if that is a good fix... because who knows what the used box would be like. Do i have to order bushings from Memphis or could i order them through a bearing place like Kamen Bearing? does anybody know the napa P/N for the steering box seal also? thanks!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. . . I did a search to see if anybody had some pictures of how it all goes together and changing the bushings. . . Do i have to order bushings from Memphis or could i order them through a bearing place like Kamen Bearing? does anybody know the napa P/N for the steering box seal also? thanks!
I too would like to know these things, a rebuild is in my future :-|

(I'm not even able to get Memphis's site up)

Last edited:

MrM4

This thread is alittle old but it was something I found with that much talked about "Search" function.

I was having wondering problems with my lifted bobber with 1600x20s. I checked tie rods, wheel bearings, pitman arm, toe in, drag arm, steering box bushing were good, wheel / rim to see if they were concentric toe the axle( Im using adapter plates on hemmett rims) NONE of these things were the problem.

After loosening the nut and tightening screw 1/8 turn my wondering problem dissipated almost completely. Worth a try, do not tighten it to much, 1/8 turn at a time and go drive the truck. Thanks for the help guys.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have my engine out and figured it was a good time to do that steering box rebuild.
First problem - can't find the pitman shafts bushings anywhere.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I had looked at their site and didn't see any, so I contacted them direct and will be ordering.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks