• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering box input seal leak

ehuppert

Next on the list is replacing the steering input shaft seal.

Would prefer and think I can do it with box installed. Have to pull steering column anyway to replace wiper switch and investigate ign stiff when cold.

Seal kit for that end is cheap, but would I be better off using the gm 7817725 plug kit? Retainer nut looks rough......

Any BTDT's?

Eric

Chaski

The adjuster plug isn’t something you can R&R Willy nilly.

If you remove it to replace the seal try to keep things squeaky clean and follow these instructions. “Adjusting thrust bearing preload”

6EE549B1-0AC2-4D61-8286-E6C796631F83.jpeg

cucvrus

Duralast Power Steering Gear 7524 (autozone.com)

I would use this $165. option as my go to. I have used several and never had an issue. I know plow trucks are hard on steering boxes. I would not torment myself with taking and old steering box apart and reinstalling it only to have it fail again and have me doing the job over again in ????. Merry Christmas.

ehuppert

Thanks for the response..... Understand this isn't a "willy nilly" repair but not super technical either.... I've had issues with remans in the past, lots of issues! And even with a "limited" lifetime warranty, I have to do the job a second, and sometimes more, time!!!! Used to get reimbursed (labor) for comebacks on parts (at the shop). But that also became time consuming paperwork wise and sometimes wasn't worth it!

So, I'll attempt to replace the seal. No real sense of urgency, ATF fluid is inexpensive and only using the truck to plow the driveway currently. Leaves small territory markers where I park, not pouring out.......

Eric

cucvrus

I never followed the Lube order on using ATF in steering boxes. 1640356539848.png I learned this while working at the GM dealership. I know the fluid is basically the same but when working on customers brand new under warranty cars and trucks we used PS fluid in PS units and Dexron in automatic transmissions. I go thru the same thing with hydrostatic tractor transmissions. I use Kubota UDT fluid and not a generic compatible fluid. The few dollars saved may come back and bite me. I am just an old guy that follows directions and manufacturers recommendations and it has helped me over the years. Merry Christmas to ALL.

vanaisa

Power steering fluid (basically hydraulic oil) is different from ATF. Not same foaming and additives. As far as i know GM always used power steering fluid, not ATF.
You can feel difference rubbing both between fingers. One is silky, smooth, ATF is "grainy" (if my english is correct).

ehuppert

Been driving Square bodies and GM products for about 40 years.... IMHO no harm done using ATF. The leak/seal damage was inflicted by me while cleaning, blasting and painting the steering box!

I always use the appropriate oil or lube on whatever i'm working on (for customers or self). GM products easy, European ( Yes, to include British Rover, Bentley, Rolls, Jag) more difficult!

And, the lube order does call for dex II!

Chaski

Swepco 715 is my favorite secret sauce. Easily obtainable from Summit Racing. Has all the vitamins and minerals your Saginaw steering and hydro boost system craves. Plus PSC and a few other outfits suggest it. I don’t think it will make or break anything, but I have had zero failures or leaks with it. Plus my power steering system is quiet and whine free. Been in use for about 7 years now

I normally get a bottle here or there from Summit to get my order up to the free shipping threshold.

Just a fluid option if you are looking for one. I can’t debate the various options.

Enjoy your seal replacement project, you may want to get a new o-ring for the adjuster plug while you are at it. I made a spanner socket out of some junk I had sitting around. I took an adjuster plug from a junk box, and pressed some drill rod into the spanner holes. Welded an old socket to it and presto I had a tool.

Have a good time tinkering!

Last edited:

Skinny

I've seen cold weather operation show the real difference between PS fluid and ATF. Just get the real stuff. It's not going to hurt anything, just give you noise and hard assist when it gets butt cold out.

I've had both boxes now on both trucks get leaky or dead spots. Red Head is selling boxes for around $300.

Got one in the CUCV when I did crossover, that box was getting dead spots when hot.

My Burb box is leaking out the input seal so bad. Got one in a box waiting to go in.

I'd say unless you are hard up for money just get a quality reman box. These things are 30 something years old.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks