• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering box lubrication question...

ems4ty

I started checking all of the lubrications on my M35A2. Changed the oil, differential fluids, lubbed the zerk fittings, checked the winch, etc... Checked the steering box and found that it looks like it has been packed with a dark grey or black colored grease. Is this right? I checked the LO that I have and it states that it is filled with GO 80/90 or something to that effect. I also pulled the drain plug and nothing came out.

If its not supposed to have grease in it, then how should I go about cleaning it out? Can I take a few cans of Brake-Clean to it, or do I need to remove the box from the truck and take it all apart? If so, that looks to be kind of a pain in the neck...

Thanks for the help...

acetomatoco

they usually got filled with GAA when they started to leak.. you may run into the same problem if you change it out...If you want to get rid of most of the GAA...heat the box with your Bernzomatic with the plug out and put a air fitting in the top and give it a few psi and a lot of the grease will be expelled...Personally, I would just leave it alone...for years and years.."mechanics" have filled steering boxes with grease rather than fix a leaky seal...with the boxes outliving the mechanics.. especially in a little used antique vehicle. (not advice, but an observation....leaded gasoline is a good solvent for GAA...all cautions given and no recommendations made)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering that it is a slow moving mechanism with often extreme pressure between worm and studs a good lithium based moly grease works very well. I would say better than the originally specified oil! (My own experience)

ems4ty

Right on. Guess I'll stick with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying for now. Haven't had any problems with it. Just wanted to be pro-active and find issues before they become real problems. Thanks for the advice. Just thought it was a bit strange since the TM & LO that I have made no mention of GAA as a replacement for the GO. Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks