• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering column bracket/mount/hardware selection help, please

NormB

So the steering column on my Humvee M998 1992 (build date 12/1991) is broken. Thought the bolts needed tightening - place I bought it assured me it would be done before I picked it up but money had changed hands and well, I got screwed - little tab on one side is broken and the hex nuts are frozen in place.

I'd bought a replacement bolt/nut kit and after doing the grounding wire/loom install today thought okay, now to tighten the whole thing down.

First, I'll need to take a nut spitter to the nuts, they're frozen in place - loose.

So, back to the part book (P-1 AND P-2) to figure out what I'll need to replace the column. Even did the usual websearch looking for information, MWOs, etc. No Joy. Then to the classifieds here, did several searches here, as well as at the usual online parts sellers, and eBay.

QUESTION: what is the difference between the two types of kit, 57K3216 and 57K3205?

Wow, not so loud... sorry.

If I'm seeing the photos correctly, it seems the earlier column had slotted holes for the allen-head cap screws, the later model (57K3216) didn't, just had a single hole drilled.

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Norm

NormB

Thanks, 86humv, I know there IS a difference, mainly I want to know which kit (one, the other or either) will fit a '92 HMMWV. I probably didnt' make that very clear.

I can't find those details in the parts TMs.

But I'd appreciate any help you could give. I really think I'd rather blow the $150 for the part and not worry about metal fatigue on the old one and the "ears" breaking off a new, exact replacement.

I'm kind of "assuming" the non-adjustable (without ears) part is a later modification and will retrofit to earlier model humvees.

Thanks again.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a new updated one with the additional upgrade brackets.
DSC_000212.jpg

NormB

Which model though? 57K3216?

My Humvee was delivered 12/91 but the title says '93, go figure. The column in place has the slots/tabs that break.
Just want to make sure before I lay out another $200 for the (updated?) kit.

Thanks again.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All models fit all trucks...Mine and the Fleebay ones are the newer models.
Mine is new, and cheaper than those others.

NormB

All models fit all trucks...Mine and the Fleebay ones are the newer models.
Mine is new, and cheaper than those others.
I looked in classifieds for these. Is this the complete "kit"? nuts, bolts, brackets? I'd really like to get this all in one fell swoop, just do it and move on to other things like insulation, heater motor (dead, hooked up directly to batteries today, zero, zip, nada), get the high back seats and new seatbelts installed, etc.

How much, how to pay you? I bank with USAA if you do we can bypass paypal fees.

PM me with details.

Thanks in advance.

Action

The adjustable part is part of the body. Some models have two curved holes under the dash that allow for a "tilt" column. There is a long bolt with special washers that runs through the center part of the column. You can pop out the gauge cluster to access that long bolt. The bottom of the column just has 2 bolts that hold it in place. I don't recall any slotted hole on the column itself.
There is an upgrade kit for the older Humvees to strengthen the middle area.

NormB

The adjustable part is part of the body. Some models have two curved holes under the dash that allow for a "tilt" column. There is a long bolt with special washers that runs through the center part of the column. You can pop out the gauge cluster to access that long bolt. The bottom of the column just has 2 bolts that hold it in place. I don't recall any slotted hole on the column itself.
There is an upgrade kit for the older Humvees to strengthen the middle area.
I got a good look at the bottom of the column while trying to remove the - frozen - allen head cap screws. The "slot" is like a fish hook. I suspect this design was changed early on due to breakage, much like the beefed up side brackets. I'd bought a bolt kit after trying to get the shorter, bottom bolts free but hadn't noticed the tabs broken off until the other day when I got a better look at it.

Thanks again.

NormB

Got a closer look at the "tabs" today. Both of them look like this. It IS a modern column, like the one on the right, with brackets intact, just the lower end is all buggered. Anyone ever seen one go bad like this? Would BIG washers help prevent it from happening again or just transfer the flex to another point where metal fatigue eventually breaks up the "tab"?

IMG_2888.jpg
Here's a old and new style.
Old on left.
View attachment 653594

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks