• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering column (how to allow start engine not only in Park position)

sirmax123

Hi!

As I said before, I replaced transmission with TH400 from HUMVWE WITHOUT PARKING

So now I need re-configure my lock key to allow start engine on N (now it is configured to start on R)
But I don't understand how can I do this.

Sorry It looks like some kind of "stupidity" but I don't understand what is "2" on the attached picture.

Could you explain me how tool "2" works?

Attachments

Last edited:

sirmax123

yes, it is clear but I don't understand why i need push ... according to the second part of picture I need pull, no?
Do tool #2 has thread inside (like nut) ?

I never did such tasks before.

txmytx_catahoula

Tool #2 does have threads to attach where the nut that held the steering wheel on. The tool presses on a plate so that you can release a clip#3. This plate and the spring beneath must be removed to access everything beneath.

Hope this helps!

sirmax123

I can't explain my problem correct because I can't say correct parts and tools names in English.
I already removed steering wheel before ask this question.

I'll make some pictures and will ask you again if will not be able to remove clip.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The previous post answered your question. You need to push with item #2 to be able to remove the clip (#3) because there is a spring behind the plate (#5). If you don't push the plate with the tool, you will have a nearly impossible time getting the clip off. You can get it off, but you will probably ruin it in the process.

Skinny

All you need to do is bypass the park safety switch wires by connecting them together or rewiring the doghead mod so it doesn't need the safety switch for protection. Not a difficult task by any means.

The other thing is you may be able to use the old TH400 parts to get the Park position back if desired. There may not be a park pawl ring on the output shaft. If there isn't, you can't put a Park position in easily without a full teardown. If there is, I'm sure nothing more is needed other than the shift arm and park pawl pieces.

sirmax123

All you need to do is bypass the park safety switch wires by connecting them together or rewiring the doghead mod so it doesn't need the safety switch for protection. Not a difficult task by any means.
I tried to search manuals for "safety switch" but without success. Could you explain me little bit more detailed where can I read about this switch?
I thought key is locked mechanically by gear switching lever, Am I wrong?

BTW, I think something is wrong because I can't rotate key even battarey is disconnected, so it looks like mechanical lock, not electrical

Last edited:

Skinny

The switch I believe is towards the bottom of the column. Without getting too in depth, all you need to do is apply 12v to the purple with white tracer wire on the starter relay. This bypasses the safety switches and key. A simple momentary contact switch with a 12v feed will fix this issue if you do not want to replace the failing components. Just be aware that you are modifying the system and could result in your truck starting and driving off if not in neutral or park.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks