• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Column Problem (VIDEO)

Barrman

It seems to me that you have 1 too many clicks of the key before you get to power on. What is your "run" position is actually, the start position as far as the column is concerned.

You need to adjust your ignition switch. Yes, the one on top of the column that you can feel, but not see. Use a 5/16 wrench to loosen the front bolt and a 3/8 to loosen the rear bolt. Slide the switch toward the seat until you feel it click once. Tighten it back down and see what happens.

The dimmer switch will have to be removed to loosen the firewall or rear stud on the switch.

Do you happen to have an accessory position if you try to turn the key backward from what your video shows as locked? I am thinking you won't.

The key positions are acc, locked, unlocked off, unlocked on and start.

zuess253

I agree with the above post which Barrman says when you truck is in the run position the key is one click too far forward. Adjust the ignition switch should solve your problem. If that doesn't work the column will need to be taken apart and fixed. It's too bad your not closer or I would fix it for you.

ilovemyblazer

Thanks so much for your help guys! It was exactly what Barrman said. I adjusted the ignition switch and the column works perfectly now! Thanks again. Now I just need to get the engine running right :-o

48cj2a

I put one in my CUCV too. If you want intermittent wipers you'll need a different wiper motor and the wiper module that goes between the dash wiring and the column wiper wiring. Found mine on an 87 Custom Deluxe Crew Cab and I also swapped over the better wiper arms with intregal washers, washer tank with the intregal washer pump in the tank.

I have a write up here: The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network - View Single Post - 85 CUCV Build
and here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showpost.php?p=4890391&postcount=24

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks