• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering / Drag Link Issues

jccomer9

So for a while now I have been having some bad steering problems. Every time I take a turn, left or right, the wheel will turn A LOT before the truck actually starts to turn. Plus when I go back to straight, my steering wheel is never in the same position, it moves after every turn. I was thinking Its because I have a (known) bad drag link end on the pitman arm. So i looked up the part number in the TM and the original part # is 362298, cross references to ES2026R. The other end attached to the steering arm is 362297, ES2027L. I have gotten both from Advance auto and neither were the correct part, the stud that goes through the pitman arm is much smaller than what is currently on the truck. No one seems to be able to find a solution to this or know why they are different. Any ideas? Thought about trying a drag link end off a suburban, PN# 26138. It looks like the right one in the pictures but I dont want to order anything else without knowing its going to work.
Besides all that, is there anything else that could be causing my steering issue? Thanks.

dependable

If it is for the 1008 in your sig line, order drag link ends for an '84 K-30. Maybe you ended up with 1009 part numbers.

Other common problems affecting steering play are worn tie rod ends, tired out steering gear, steering gear bolts coming loose from frame, and cracked frame at steering gear mounts.

Often it is a combination of problems. Have helper slowly 'saw' the steering wheel back and forth, climb under and identify all areas of play. If it is the steering gear, the output shaft will move up and down some as well as side to side.

If it is as bad as you say, you should fix it right a way and not drive it like that for 'some while longer'.

Also check steering sector shaft under hood and at steering box to see that is hooked up right, if play is that bad. Though that is not a common problem.

Last edited:

Skinny

If you have the coin (which is not much because frontend parts are super cheap on these rigs), I would take a weekend and freshen up the entire front end. That means all new steering and balljoints, repack/adjust wheel bearings, and have it aligned. You can try and do one piece at a time but with the age, doing a complete rebuild sometimes is just easier because you don't have to tear things apart twice. This would also be an opportunity to inspect other items like front axle ujoints. I bet between every wear item in the frontend, you could do it for less than $400 if you do the labor which is great time to learn how to do things if you are unfamiliar with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks