• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering gear adjust

Russm

What's normal depends if you've lifted the truck or left it stock. My M1009 when it was stock had almost no play in the steering. After a lift the steering was very loose until I changed it to cross over steer.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

What's normal depends if you've lifted the truck or left it stock. My M1009 when it was stock had almost no play in the steering. After a lift the steering was very loose until I changed it to cross over steer.

Hello,
ok that's interesting. My M1008 has a 4 inch lift.
I don't know if I translated it correctly, I mean how much you can turn the steering wheel and nothing happens on the wheels.

Russm

Yes that's correct. Turn the steering wheel and nothing happens. Before I put cross over steer on I had almost half a turn of nothing. Ideally the steering should not be loose at all

Yes that's correct. Turn the steering wheel and nothing happens. Before I put cross over steer on I had almost half a turn of nothing. Ideally the steering should not be loose at all

Ok, that's crazy. Luckily it's not that bad for me. I have now also found that the ball heads are push rod, scrap, so change. I'm in the garage for three days with my green monster next week, I'll take a closer look.

cucvrus

Ok, that's crazy. Luckily it's not that bad for me. I have now also found that the ball heads are push rod, scrap, so change. I'm in the garage for three days with my green monster next week, I'll take a closer look.
Yes definitely check the drag link and the tie rod ends. My Son had a lifted M1028 and had little trouble running 40" tires out the turnpike for a few years. Once I located a pile of HMMWV 24 bolt tires on wheels he ran them. Even with the run flats in I never noticed steering issues. That was because all the tie rods and drank link were tight. Grease regularly and I never had issues. It was only an issue when I first bought most trucks. After changing the links and damper never had any issues. Seems like some get the death wobble and you play hard to eliminate it and others never get it even when they are neglected and abused. No rhyme or reason. Take Care. Be Safe.

Yes definitely check the drag link and the tie rod ends. My Son had a lifted M1028 and had little trouble running 40" tires out the turnpike for a few years. Once I located a pile of HMMWV 24 bolt tires on wheels he ran them. Even with the run flats in I never noticed steering issues. That was because all the tie rods and drank link were tight. Grease regularly and I never had issues. It was only an issue when I first bought most trucks. After changing the links and damper never had any issues. Seems like some get the death wobble and you play hard to eliminate it and others never get it even when they are neglected and abused. No rhyme or reason. Take Care. Be Safe.
Ok, the post just came and brought the new parts:naner:, completely different, nothing loose.

Hello,
three days in the garage are done. You were right, after I changed the push rod heads and readjusted the steering gear, the steering is just great.
The starter and the cabin holder were also repaired. Cabin and stabilizer got new bushing.
A new exhaust was installed and the engine received a service.
20200810_090009.jpg20200810_163832.jpg20200811_164017.jpg

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a steering shaft from a Jeep XJ (84 to 00). Pretty much a direct fit. Replaces the rubber steering coupler with a U-joint. Drastically improved steering.

cucvrus

Drastically improved steering.
For the sake of argument. I would need proof that this U joint conversion improves steering. I mean improves it how? It's faster, more responsive, easier to steer? I think they are basically the same thing. They are a flexible connection. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/cucvrus-repair-projects.192437/page-5#lg=post-2297138&slide=3 I replaced a few of the stock rag joints over the years on many types of vehicles. And same end results. Remember I am asking a question. How is it an improvement. It still connects the 2 pieces together with a flexible joint. D-LOVEJOY-UJ__27323_1457773069love joy.jpg I could weld a Lovejoy connection in the shaft at the connection. How would this improve the steering? Only asking.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rubber will always have some play and more so the older it gets. A U-joint is much tighter, it removes some of the slack in the steering wheel. It makes it faster, more responsive and you get better road feedback. There are aftermarket shafts/joints available as well with bigger, stronger joints then the stock Jeep shaft (Borgeson I think).

If you Google the modification, you'll see lots of people have done so with good results.

The rubber will always have some play and more so the older it gets. A U-joint is much tighter, it removes some of the slack in the steering wheel. It makes it faster, more responsive and you get better road feedback. There are aftermarket shafts/joints available as well with bigger, stronger joints then the stock Jeep shaft (Borgeson I think).

If you Google the modification, you'll see lots of people have done so with good results.

Hello,
Many thanks. I've already done that, the results are great. Of course, with my steering, the Hardy disc looks really old. So anyway there is trouble with the TÜV. So out with it, I have already found the handlebar on the internet and ordered it.

Drastically improved steering.
For the sake of argument. I would need proof that this U joint conversion improves steering. I mean improves it how? It's faster, more responsive, easier to steer? I think they are basically the same thing. They are a flexible connection. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/cucvrus-repair-projects.192437/page-5#lg=post-2297138&slide=3 I replaced a few of the stock rag joints over the years on many types of vehicles. And same end results. Remember I am asking a question. How is it an improvement. It still connects the 2 pieces together with a flexible joint. View attachment 808874 I could weld a Lovejoy connection in the shaft at the connection. How would this improve the steering? Only asking.
You will of course be right, only with rubber is wear and tear slow and difficult to assess. At metall you can see what's going on and you can react

Hello,
Many thanks. I've already done that, the results are great. Of course, with my steering, the Hardy disc looks really old. So anyway there is trouble with the TÜV. So out with it, I have already found the handlebar on the internet and ordered it.
Hello,
so after a few problems the correct steering shaft was in the mail on Friday. Today I installed it. After some problems with the installation it is now possible. No comparison to before. here are a few photos.
20200822_180737.jpg20200822_180744.jpg20200822_181141.jpg20200822_181149.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks