• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering gear box

MATT

I am in the process of removing the gear box due to a hard steer problem noticable at 20mph+ on left turns only. The steering wheel gets hard to turn and then doesn't turn back to center when you let go. I can see a lot of end play in the shaft that comes out of the box, all 4 bolts attaching the box to the frame are tight. The oil looks good and is full. Is there anything special I need to know when removing this darn box, it is pretty close to the IP!

Thanks !

nickd

I had the misfortune to have my steering box fail during a trail ride with friends. Marksgarage2 towed me about 15 miles out of the woods with my towbar to his house and CaptainRPM provided the insite to rebuild the steering box on the frame without removing the fuel injector pump or the motor. It can be done. The next issue of Military Vehicles Magazine should have the article with Marks pictures and step by step instructions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I get it. I though you had a way to remove it from the truck without pulling the booster or moving the engine.

MATT

I am in fort collins. I got it fixed today. I left the gear box in the frame and took the cover off. I had to use a fork lift to raise the engine slightly to remove the cover and one bolt. I loosened the front engine mounts and it worked well. THanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks