• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering gear bushings

rustystud

I'm in the process of reworking some steering gears for a project I've been working on. I thought some here might want to know how to fit their bushings without the aid of fancy "burnishers" and "reamers" .

001.jpg Now normally you would use a "reamer" (pictured here) to size your new bushings or a "burnisher" . Since most people don't have that in their shop I'll show you how to fit (size) your bushings with a brake hone.

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

Using a drill or drill press and some good cutting oil start honing the bushings. You should also buy the most course hone stones you can find. It will cut much faster if you do. Use a lot of cutting fluid on the stones.
After several passes, clean the bushings ( I use brake clean) then check you progress by trying to insert the "sector shaft". Keep going until you are able to start the sector shaft. Then using a "rubber mallet" try and insert the shaft as far as you can. Then remove it again using only the rubber mallet (never use a hammer on the sector shaft !!!! ) .

006.jpg009.jpg What you will see is dark spots on the bushings. These areas need more grinding (sanding) and you should concentrate your honing there. After you are able to totally insert the sector shaft, twist it several times. Then after removing it check for any dark spots. Now you can just use some fine (200 grit and finer) sand paper to touch-up these areas.

008.jpg010.jpg In the end what your looking for is to be able to fully insert the sector shaft and be able to turn it by hand fairly easy. I say fairly easy as you want "ZERO" play in the shaft.
The primary cause of oil seal failure is worn sector shaft bushings. According to the TM the amount of clearance you need is in the hundred thousandths of an inch . That's 0.0005 kind of clearance.

011.jpg It will take several hours of work, but in the end you will have a perfectly fitted sector shaft in your steering gear.

rustystud

013.jpg Just a side note on maintaining your brake hone. After using mine I clean it, and then fully back-off the tension nut. Then using a "plastic Ty" I wrap the arms tight. Now I can store it in my tool box without hurting the arms. I have several brake hones, some several decades old and all are still in great shape.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like rustystud is fixing things which can not be bought.
The trucks have steered for long long time GI.
They get worn and old and sloppy, built by humans and have some
attributes of the humans. [old sloppy, worn out].
Rustystud is showing how to renew a steering box concerning
the part that wears out as that is where the adverse torque is.
Bushings/guides are meant to be replaced when worn
but what if they unavailable. I don't even see them available but He found some!
steering box IMG_4717.jpg

One will not find these steering boxes piled up anywhere, they got trashed.
Here is parts list
steering box parts IMG_4718.jpg

Perhaps with a good fit to the bushing and rebuilt with a new plain seal part#4 then owners would not have to use the corn head grease anymore. But must move the engine to get the box out.

If rustystud takes his long sought vacation to Alaska We may get no more lessons. So Hey rustystud, before you leave there is more work coming your way via the brown truck.

Last edited:

yolner

Once again amazing info by rustystud! An alternative to this is to take the shaft and box to a machine shop and have them ream it. Last time I had this done it was only $50.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Some people are lucky to be able to "send stuff out".
I must do everything myself, which is why I appreciated the lesson.
Anyhow that 50 bucks is 2.2 18 packs of beer.

I have priorities list and you have yours.

rustystud

Once again amazing info by rustystud! An alternative to this is to take the shaft and box to a machine shop and have them ream it. Last time I had this done it was only $50.
The machine shop close to me charges $200.00 an hour with a minimum of 1 hr. So for $200.00 I will do the work myself.

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bushings/guides are meant to be replaced when worn
but what if they unavailable. I don't even see them available but He found some!
Those looks like thin wall bronze bushings? you should be able to get bushing stock at pretty close to the nominal OD spin it in the drillpress and sandpaper to size + a few thousandths, press them in and proceed to drill/hone as mentioned?

edit:And if you are feeling classy file in some grease/oil grooves

Last edited:

rustystud

Those looks like thin wall bronze bushings? you should be able to get bushing stock at pretty close to the nominal OD spin it in the drillpress and sandpaper to size + a few thousandths, press them in and proceed to drill/hone as mentioned?

edit:And if you are feeling classy file in some grease/oil grooves
Their steel backed bronze bushings. Though a solid bronze bushing would work fine. Just more money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks