• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Gear Question

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read numerous threads pertaining to steering gear leaks. One referenced TM9-2320-209-20-3-2 outling the steps to move the engine for gear bolt access. I have looked and the TM and could not find it. It may be there and I am educationally challenged but does anyone know what section that info is in?

I have also read about using Corn Head grease instead of gear oil to minimize my leak. I have a source for the grease but would like to know if you just hold the grease gun nozzle in the fill opening and let if fly.

treeguy

I was also thinking of using that same grease for both sides of the winch, but don't know how to accurately measure the amount going in and if it will adequetly make it into the clutch side brass bearing. My steering box also leaks and your suggestion for using corn head in that too sounds like a great idea. Have you seen the video from John Deere on the use of corn head? It looks like a superb lubricant for some of our gears. My only heasitation is - how (if you had to) would you cleanly drain the gear box of old corn head to apply new corn head? I dunno, maybe too anal of an issue. Any way, I'd probably do it if I were you.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
of course the grease does not really lube it very well, but it also won't leak out! why not just replace the seal? it's not that hard, just time consuming.

tom

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running corn head grease in my steering and my winch. On my steering gear I screwed the hose on my grease gun to the drain hole and pumped it in until it came out the fill hole. I was worried about the grease not lubing good enough also but John Deere recommends it for any low speed gearbox. I'd say the steering gear and the winch qualifies as "low speed".

Troll1216

I have two tubes of corn head grease on standby for this very purpose... I have'nt had the need for them yet...

It is very reasonably priced and should be a good quick fix incase of a problem.

Heavysteven

What do you mean time consuming? Could you go into more detail about replacing the gasket? It's seams really tight down there especially with a winch.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was an oiler for Anheuser-Busch and if a gear box lost a seal and we couldn't take the time then to fix it, we would pump grease into it full and fix next shut down. On several gear boxes they forgot to fix and we stopped telling them or writing work orders so it went on for years with the grease in them. No problems. These boxes are on high speed equipment that run 24/7. I really don't think the grease will hurt your steering box until you fix the problem.

Gastrap

Deere has even subbed gear lube to corn head grease (AN102562) on some of its own applications. On the walker gearcase of a 9000 series combine they used gear lube for years. The later versions came out with a factory fill of corn head lube, and I convert all old ones to grease with a simple drain & flush with TY26101 brake cleaner. I pump it into a zerk at the bottom until it's full to the top hole.

We also use it in both of the unloading gearcases on combines, and the clean grain gearcase of the 6000 series combine.

Corn head gear cases have roller bearings, needle bearings, bronze bushings, sintered thrust washers, straight and bevel cut gears. Thats about every kind of load there is for a grease to perform under-no compatability issues with the grease. I've used it in a 90-1 worm reduction box for thousands of hours with great results as well.

Last edited:

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M37 winch seals, leak like a sieve. But, I have all ready removed it from the truck and bought a seal kit. It does sound promising though.

Harleighguy

Where does one FIND this corn head grease?? My steering box is a leaker too, and I'm not going to lift the engine anytime soon to put in a new seal or replace the box... Does NAPA have it? If so there is one about 500 feet from the Honda dealership I work at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks