• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Gear Removal

dabtl

I have been working on removing the steering gear box. Tough business. I have MV Mag, 116 with the directions.

But, I seem to run into these screws and such in the path. This is one close fit.

I may have it out in a couple of days. I just keep removing the bolts one at a time. I am on my way to the tool store tomorrow for some knuckle sockets. Oh, well, it is a hobby. :twisted:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the easiest way is to move the front of the engine up and away from the box until you think something is going to break. then remove the cover from the box and pull the sector shaft out. after that you can remove the rest of the box pretty easily. i have a new sector shaft if you need one.

dabtl

I may need it. I have not gotten the box off yet. I just keep doing a little each day. The frustration may take over. I may even loosen the motor finally.

Oh, well, tomorrow is another day to quote Scarlett O'Hara.

acetomatoco

When the M/F engines were fitted.. 20 years after the chassis was designed, it made a real mess of removing the steering gear..but all the handy tips you find in the MV article surely help...but I would not remove one unless I was sure it was not just the adjustment of the unit in place which was needed..or some other malady in the linkage ..

dabtl

I adjusted the unit. It helped marginally. The steering wheel will for short periods, very short periods, spin without making contact with the gearing. Then it will regain contact and resume normal steering, until the next time. So, pull the steering gear to find out. If it is bad enough, I will put in power steering.

dabtl

OK, I am down to the last bolt on the box. I have been liberally treating my hands with peroxide where the flesh used to be.

The temps have been hot and, of all things, the mosquitoes have been slowing my progress.

I kept re-reading MV #116, looking on this board and thinking that it is impossible to remove the steering gear without lifting the engine out of the way. As another bolt would come out, the possibility that I could be wrong loomed. As I made some progress along the way it became apparent that if you pull out all the bolts and remove the cover, the last of the bolts will come out of the steering column bracket without disturbing anything on the engine.

After suffering an inch long gouge on my hand yesterday, I called it. But, with a cold beverage in hand, observing the remaining bolt in place, I am now confident that by this evening the box will be out.

The clearance is soooooo close it almost is impossible to do. But, thanks to SS a lot of time is saved by an amateur wrench turner.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the booster pump still in place on the IP. I hear this is not a difficult item to remove to gain clearance. Anyone have ny thoughts on this? Dabtl, grow some fresh flesh before you do more damage.

dabtl

Everything is in place. I think it is a matter of just moving the box around for clearance at this point.

I may take the bolts out of the front motor mounts and hoist the engine a 1/4 of an inch up to see what that does if I get impatient.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i can tell you from experiance, you have to remove the front motor bolts and move the motor up and over more than it will want to go, a lot more than 1/4". you really have to force things to gain enough clearance. and this is if you take the box apart in the truck and put it back togeather in the truck. you cannot remove the complete steering with the motor in the truck. this truck was designed with a gas motor and things were very different in that case.

dabtl

My guess is that it will vary by truck. I kind of think that there were differing clearances created by the simple fact that the engines were not designed for that chassis, some were mounted a little to the left, some a little to the right and some more right down the middle.
But it appears that 1/4 probably will be sufficient. If I need more, oh, well, that is what time is for.

M215

Steering box

I replaced the steering box on our M35A2 without moving the engine per MV mag #116. Removed the column and four frame mounting bolts allowing the box position to be adjusted to get all the cover bolts out. Removed the fuel line from the bottom of the injector pump also.
Hope this helps, Karl

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can be done. You have to remove the mount bolts through the frame. Get it down to the last bolt and unscrew it all the way out till you can feel the last thread completely out. By slightly rotating the box the cover will come out. Re-installation will be a heck of alot easier if you trim 1/8" off that last bolt and put it in first.

dabtl

I have gotten the fuel line off, then the mosquitoes came and I quit, again. Start again on Thursday, I think. We shall see.

dabtl

Down to the last bolt this afternoon. Mosquitoes, again, after a dozen bites, I have had enough until tomorrow. It may be possible to remover the steering gear by taking it apart on the frame after all. More to follow.

dabtl

Ultimately, I had to remove the front motor mounts and loosen the rear in order to use a crane to lift the engine an inch or so out of the way. I took the box apart in the truck and removed it piece at a time. After putting in new bushings, I reassembled the gear and steering column in accordance with NickD's article in MV Magazine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks